• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

Capt David W. Howe of 334 Sqn. He survived the war (Burt ;) ), after two tours and amazingly without an abort and 502 combat hours. He had 8 and a half victories.

media-13570.jpeg

Smithy

The 4th are especially interesting as I find the combination of US and British flying kit really great Andrew. It reminds me a lot of the Norwegian aircrew who had trained at Little Norway, that mix of British and American kit for some reason tickles my fancy!

Greg Gale

Look, another baggy A-2....NOT ;) Then again, he wears his A-2 looser than most of his squadmates. The first picture here in a long time where the sleeve length would be acceptable for most VLJ members :) I wonder why he's wearing his collars this way, not very flattering. Looking at the pants, I guess they're M37s rather than pinks, right? Somehow that was the trend at the 4th - I've got to get myself one for next years FL :D

Smithy

I wonder why he's wearing his collars this way, not very flattering.

It's more than likely due to personal preference to how he wore his harnesses (parachute and seat). He obviously liked them worn higher up the shoulders. I remember a former Spit pilot telling me how every pilot was different in how he liked to be strapped in.

Smithy

Red Dog had 16.3 kills and his first kill when flying with the K-14 sight was a rare bird, a Me163.

He was called Red Dog not because of his red hair like many think but because of his ability to lose money playing the Red Dog variant of poker!

Brettafett

So the above jacket (Roughwear) for example, its tricky to say which specific contract ,without seeing more details, like zipper etc.
i.e. so pocket shape/ profile can not tell specific contract etc.? Thanks btw

Last edited: