• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

Capt Herbert Blanchfield of 334 Sqn pictured with the Don Allen painted nose art on his P-47C (41-6187, QP-E)

media-24490.jpeg

Smithy

I'll have to have a dig in my books as I'm not sure. Technically Duke was the mascot of 334, Deacon had him after Kidd was KIA but for some reason I have a feeling Deacon might have been the one who looked after Duke the most before Kidd as well.

johnwayne

Liking Digger's boots, don't look 'general issue' almost looking black but then the trousers look pretty dark too! Handsome German Shepherd you wouldn't want to get chased by either!!

Cocker

Duke was pretty rough and tumble by all accounts and also difficult to control although everybody loved him - probably much like his caretaker Kidd Hofer!

Loved the story in Goodson's book where he tells about Duke and the Kidd rolling over and rumbling together on the ground. This is, for me, amongst the prime examples showing how these fighter pilots were still kids, for most part of them.

Smithy

Too true Cèdric, the Kidd really was only a kid, sadly just 23 when he was shot down.

I want to pick up a copy of Troy White's book on him (Troy wrote "Adventures of the 4th") but boy when copies pop up they're bloody pricey!

Smithy

Mate I owe you a beer, I thought it was entirely out of print. Just sent Troy an email about price of postage to the frozen north.

Cocker

Mate I owe you a beer, I thought it was entirely out of print. Just sent Troy an email about price of postage to the frozen north.

This, I won't forget! :-D

It may be the next one on my list, still a bit steep for me at 65UD, but I'd really like to know more about this character!

Smithy

Cèdric, I'm planning on going to Flying Legends next year so how about coming along (and I can shout you that beer :)! ). I think Greg and Brett are planning on going, and obviously Andrew and Steve will be there as well as others. Might have to make it a bit of a VLJ shindig!

Cocker

Sounds like a good idea! I'm planning to go to Duxford next year too, been too long since last time I went there. Will have to check with work schedule/holiday of the little one, and so on...