• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

John Luder

A bit warm in So.Cal. for leather or fleece, so I'm taking a break.
However, I finally did the USN stencil (which I cut, myself) on my 37-J1. Now I look just like John Wayne in They Were Expendable.
Even my wife likes the jacket, which is mostly all-weather out here.
BUT quality control has been an issue with two of my 5*.
It's going to cost me at least $30, probably more, to have the zipper re-set so that the pull is on the right (and correct) side. I can't do it myself.
No reply from Pakistan. I pm'd Shawn through facebook. He told me to contact him directly, which I did. Not another word.
This is very irritating. I like their work and prices, and would continue to order from them, but this gives me pause. This all occurred months ago; I was waiting to see if anything came of my plaint. But nothing.
OK, that's it for my rant.
John
IMG_1153.jpg
IMG_0827.jpg
IMG_1154.jpg

Thomas Koehle

However, I finally did the USN stencil (which I cut, myself) on my 37-J1. Now I look just like John Wayne in They Were Expendable.
It's going to cost me at least $30, probably more, to have the zipper re-set so that the pull is on the right (and correct) side. I can't do it myself.
No reply from Pakistan. I pm'd Shawn through facebook. He told me to contact him directly, which I did. Not another word.
This is very irritating. I like their work and prices, and would continue to order from them, but this gives me pause. This all occurred months ago; I was waiting to see if anything came of my plaint. But nothing.
JohnView attachment 154245View attachment 154247View attachment 154249

Hi John,

nice jacket!

I also own one of those 37J1 but need to check for the position of the puller.

Did you order recently?

Any more photos from the front?

Cheers Thomas

Shanghai-Mayne

JohnView attachment 154245View attachment 154247View attachment 154249
Nice work ,John.

John Luder

Hi John,

nice jacket!

I also own one of those 37J1 but need to check for the position of the puller.

Did you order recently?

Any more photos from the front?

Cheers Thomas
Good evening,
Here are a couple views of the front.
I had them add the tab below the collar because that's how John Wayne's was in the movie.
They were real good about doing the tab and following my measurements, but the zipper was very disappointing. I'm not left-handed and this is different from all of my other jackets, any jacket that is, and I'm concerned I might break the zipper or tear something as I 'struggle' with the left side zipper.
First world problems, as my friend in England says.
Cheers,
John, the one-eyed Jack
IMG_1159.jpg
IMG_1155.jpg

John Luder

One more thing. This might explain why five star doesn't want to get involved in fixing their quality control problem.
They use a damnably tenacious double-stick tape to baste the pieces together before stitching. I can see how that saves labor and time, but this is going to be a significant cost to pop the stitches and separate pieces that are glued together.
This is a major pisser. And it's going to cost me a big-ass bundle of dough.
John
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg

ludospeed

One more thing. This might explain why five star doesn't want to get involved in fixing their quality control problem.
They use a damnably tenacious double-stick tape to baste the pieces together before stitching. I can see how that saves labor and time, but this is going to be a significant cost to pop the stitches and separate pieces that are glued together.
JohnView attachment 154313View attachment 154317
I have already mentioned that fivestars uses glue and that it poses problems. But some people here said it wasn't serious.

Thomas Koehle

JohnView attachment 154313View attachment 154317

And how long did you have it?

I had a very early production jacket and another one which i ordered 1.5 yrs later both in different fabric???

earlier production ordered 2021
before 1st wash
Tku4ie4.jpg

after some mild "aging"
e6oWdhW.jpg

ordered 2023
YtSpvSz.jpg

mulceber

That super hornet is probably just about staying in the air and the Corsair is going flat out full throttle I’d bet .

I don’t doubt it. That said, there was one point where the pilot demonstrated how slow the plane could go (right after tickling the sound barrier), and it was about 100 knots.

What’s the temps there today?
Are you melting in that GW?;)
Hah, yeah I had it on for the morning and inside of a half hour I was carrying it.

John Luder

I have already mentioned that fivestars uses glue and that it poses problems. But some people here said it wasn't serious.
I hadn't seen that.
I can feel the edges of the stick tape on the inside of the pockets, but that doesn't matter because I'm not trying to re-move the pockets.
I didn't give it any thought until I started popping seams and trying for a head start removing the zippers to save some money, giving the tailor a head start.
If acetone doesn't damage the fabric and it loosens the goo, I might give it a shot.
On the other hand, which would be the left one, I might have to teach myself to be ambidextrous with this jacket.

John Luder

And how long did you have it?

I had a very early production jacket and another one which i ordered 1.5 yrs later both in different fabric???

earlier production ordered 2021
before 1st wash
Tku4ie4.jpg

after some mild "aging"
e6oWdhW.jpg

ordered 2023
YtSpvSz.jpg
I got it less than 6 months ago. After checking the fit, I tossed it in the wash with a capful of chlorine bleach. Tumble dry then put on the suit form. BTW, When using dyes or bleach, always have the garment soaked in water before throwing into the dye or bleach. Otherwise, you'll get a tie-dyed look.

Thomas Koehle

I hadn't seen that.
I can feel the edges of the stick tape on the inside of the pockets, but that doesn't matter because I'm not trying to re-move the pockets.
I didn't give it any thought until I started popping seams and trying for a head start removing the zippers to save some money, giving the tailor a head start.
If acetone doesn't damage the fabric and it loosens the goo, I might give it a shot.
On the other hand, which would be the left one, I might have to teach myself to be ambidextrous with this jacket.

I saw that double-sided tape when I removed the USN-leather tab - the tape peeled off pretty easily