• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Steve27752

Dude of the Day...

I know we've had a few shots of Blakeslee but this is great and what I think is the perfect A-2 fit. Yeah he's whippet thin but talk about cutting a dash. Cooler than a block of ice in a fridge at the South Pole.

7266060714_618b55f5dd_z.jpg
Looking at the heels, I think cowboy boots were the uniform of the day.

Kennyz

Very cool indeed, Smithy!

Anybody know what make and contract of A-2 Blakeslee is wearing here?

Ken

Dude of the Day...

I know we've had a few shots of Blakeslee but this is great and what I think is the perfect A-2 fit. Yeah he's whippet thin but talk about cutting a dash. Cooler than a block of ice in a fridge at the South Pole.

7266060714_618b55f5dd_z.jpg

Greg Gale

Don't get mad at me Smithy, but I'm going to hijack this thread and post some pics of my other favorite unit, the Blue Nose Bastards of Bodney, the 352nd FG:

imageproxy.php

403d625f1a7f99721ca5a8d6fbbf4461.jpg

1200px-Major_George_E_Preddy_Jr_FRE_000343.jpg

4621459.jpg

COVER-6.4-George-Preddy-Red-McVay-Aug-6-1944.jpg

I love the Donald Duck painting on this one:
f2c56a6bf5cb58fbd6abd258775b5457--aviators-trench.jpg

0fda063470686dcbbaa4915e42dd3a89.jpg

4d97ec330aac60fcf78a2345793eb792.jpg

Escape whistles seem to have been more common, than in the 4th FG?

images

9580ba28f925598dbc8d413989e12fc3.jpg

860c131c15b05b905dbe9ce2f8f63adb.jpg

VDNuvPM.jpg

Looking at Preddy's jacket, I seems to me that slim pilots wore their jacket short, rather than having one that's long enough for their frame but ill-fitting in the body, but that's my 2 cents only. Also interesting to note how wide those collars are spread on every picture, laying almost flat against the chest.

Lorenzo_l

Great pictures, Greg, thanks for posting. Nice to see some pictures of G. Preddy I had not seen before. Where did you get them from, btw?

Greg Gale

Thanks! I just googled different word combinations. By the way, the Eastman website states that most of the 352nd had Monarchs. Is that so? Preddy, for instance, has an Aero....Was it common for one unit to have A-2s from the the same contract? What was the most common contract at the 4th?

Smithy

Was it common for one unit to have A-2s from the the same contract?

I wouldn't have thought so Greg as the jackets were issued during flight training so I imagine there were "clumps" of the same contracts when they were issued. But considering that men would be assigned to different commands not to mention groups and then squadrons different contract jackets would be spread throughout the Army Air Force.

You can see in this picture of the 4th when they were still on jugs and before the B-10s turned up how there's a variety of different jackets and obviously contracts too.

EDIT: (helps if you actually attach the photo!)

media-377307.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot

Thx for all these nice pics...
Great docs...
Love the pics with pilots with watches and gloves...
Again thx for sharing.

Brettafett

Will try and have a look. I've had so many pics over the years, some are stored on old HDs...
Theres a book on the 55th Fighter Group that had some cool pics. Great book. Great stories.

Smithy

Brilliant photo Greg! That's Bunte next to Goody as well.

Also I might be wrong but the guy in the "middle" row, second from left could very well be wearing a tanker jacket.

Cocker

I'll second the tanker jacket! Far more common with the 9th AF guys than the 8th, but I've seen a couple lately when looking for pictures of the 56th FG, amongst other.