• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Greg Gale

Another piece of RAF heritage: the blue polka dot ascot scarf as seen around John Godfrey's neck.

media-377282.jpg

Pilot

These polka dot scarfs were favored by all WW2 pilots, regardless on which side they were fighting.

Smithy

If we are talking the RAF and the kinds of silk scarves available in Britain in the 1930s and 40s, the problem with a lot of modern silk scarves is that the silk is too thin and doesn't have the heft that the scarves from that era had. Another thing, a lot of the scarves worn by RAF aircrew (like those made by Tootal, Duggie, etc) had a silk side and a wool side (usually in a monotone colour) this also added to the "bulk" of the scarf when it was knotted. A lot of modern silk scarves can look a little anaemic when they are knotted or quickly come loose.

Pilot

Yes, Hungarian pilots wore red polka dot scarves for example. The USAAF, however, preferred their issue white silk scarves, except for the 4th FG.

On a sidenote, if anyone is interested, I have one of these. May not be historically accurate, but they're great quality, made of silk. Goes well with an A-2 ;)
https://www.supernovascarves.co.uk/navy-silk-polka-dot-mod-scarf.html
I have one from WW2, dots are bigger and its quite strong silk.
Both sides are printed the same way and there are German markings on it: “ Reine Seide “
I am not at the address where my collection is, hence pics will follow later...

Officer Dibley

Ok, thanks for putting me right. Pinks felt syntheic or part synthetic when i've handled them. I've never seen drape like they have on modern wool trousers and assumed. Always a mistake !

Cocker

Never checked on the fate on Duane Beeson after WW2. What a sad, sad end for such a brave young man... Same goes for Godfrey. Surviving all this to go out like that, it's really awful.

B-Man2

"Fit ?" I hear you say...... maybe the uniform, period in time and steely eyed dealer of death look in their eyes is what makes the jacket look right rather than the cut......

View attachment 7662
I love this picture because it positively shows that “ the fit” of the jacket depended on what the the supply Sargent had in stock and where you were in the Q, at the time the jackets were being issued. I’m sure they tried to give a guy what he wanted, but these two guys are wearing A2’s at least one size to big.

Pilot

I love this picture because it positively shows that “ the fit” of the jacket depended on what the the supply Sargent had in stock and where you were in the Q, at the time the jackets were being issued. I’m sure they tried to give a guy what he wanted, but these two guys are wearing A2’s at least one size to big.
Absolutely, plus they did not eat as well as we do today...

Officer Dibley

Just picked up a lovely white Tootal for £20 on ebay.
There's another three on there now. Another at £20 and others at £39 & £50.
Be quick !

Officer Dibley

Too big in our modern view Burt. I wonder if any of their buddies kept taking the pi55 over the jackets being too big or sleeve half an inch too long/short.

I think the vast majority of the aircrews were just young, unsophisticated lads for whom "fashion" was something hot "broads" were occupied with but was unmanly for all but the rich dandies.

We'll never be able to check but i wonder how many that wore A-2's the way some now like were the better heeled and sophisticated ones.....

But what do i know. I treated some great kit i was issued with with utter contempt as it was free issue.