• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Brettafett

I read in a book about the 357th, could have been 'To Fly an Fight' by Bud Anderson... that pilots generally preferred the RAF flying goggles also.

Pilot

Yup! plus many photos available to document it...
Furthermore, saw a few photos ( need to find them) with RAF and USAAF pilots wearing German googles and Schwimmweste ( life vest).
Need to find those photos.

Pilot

089EA2D8-929A-42A9-9973-15ABEAB6A567.jpeg

Brettafett

I have always wondered about the issue of glare in WW2. The US pilots had sunglasses, but wore goggles in the cockpit/ in combat, yes? These were not tinted were they? Any thoughts on this?

Smithy

I have always wondered about the issue of glare in WW2. The US pilots had sunglasses, but wore goggles in the cockpit/ in combat, yes? These were not tinted were they? Any thoughts on this?

Goggles came in both tinted and untinted Brett. IIRC Triplex were the first to bring out tinted goggles and did so during WWI.

Pilot

Any members here of Wehrmachtawards?
they had a thread on WWII US and allied troops wearing/ using German gear/equipment/weapons...
Amazing photos...
Cannot find it right now but will for sure.

Pilot

Sure that these boys ( a testabd evaluation Group ) used a lot of Luftwaffe gear...
See the Me110 in the background, the pilot badge of the RAF pal on the right end, his flight cap... plus the googles of the pilot in the middle...
Still searching for others...