• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

bn1966

Got a B-15 Alpha Vintage Series inbound next week, not very accurate at a number of levels but they fit me very well in XL & give a softer look than an MA-1 in the street. Prices on eBay are all over the place from £150 - £900 (crazy!). Found a £80 one on Vinted UK with if the vendor has been accurate, a leather zipper tag missing and a very small hole …. We’ll see :)

LV426

This load of clobber today: Aero Barnstormer in CXL FQHH, Royal Flying Corps scarf and a pair of service shoes.

11BxBhB.jpg
That's one of a jacket ! Wearing it must be like quite an armor. I'm not jocking , I like this kind of 3/4 leather coats ( I had one quite similar from my grand father ). Heavy leather ? About the service shoes , are they ATF repros type2 ? They look beautiful.

Pa12

So if not clawhammer , bluegrass ? the 3 finger like in the video ?
Yes. Metal picks on index and middle fingers and plastic thumb pick. There’s many “rolls” to learn which are incorporated in virtually everything. Claw hammer is more popular with Dixie land style and a lot of Irish folk music. Also generally a 4 string tenor banjo. But there’s lots of variations. Some, like Niel young, string a banjo like a guitar and play it like a guitar.

LV426

Yes. Metal picks on index and middle fingers and plastic thumb pick. There’s many “rolls” to learn which are incorporated in virtually everything. Claw hammer is more popular with Dixie land style and a lot of Irish folk music. Also generally a 4 string tenor banjo. But there’s lots of variations. Some, like Niel young, string a banjo like a guitar and play it like a guitar.
I love "folk guitar" but there is something very special with the banjo , the sound , the notes , ... it can be sad and joyful at the sametime without beeing grandiloquent like guitar . I do,n't know if I'm clear but that's what I feel when I ear Banjo . Makes me feel good ! ehehe . I will give it a try before passing away !! You are lucky ;) and your friends too . But , I think it's not the thread to discuss about Banjo I guess ??!!! :p Apologises to the moderator !

Pa12

I love "folk guitar" but there is something very special with the banjo , the sound , the notes , ... it can be sad and joyful at the sametime without beeing grandiloquent like guitar . I do,n't know if I'm clear but that's what I feel when I ear Banjo . Makes me feel good ! ehehe . I will give it a try before passing away !! You are lucky ;) and your friends too . But , I think it's not the thread to discuss about Banjo I guess ??!!! :p Apologises to the moderator !
The sound comes from the tone ring. There’s a big sold steel or brass ring. Makes it very heavy. Mine is a Gibson from the 70’s and probably weighs 20lbs

Pa12

Be glad to discuss it more with you if you want to start another thread

coolhandluke

May I ask what your thought are about the Freenote Jacket and which size has yours?
?

I'm thrilled with it. At first glance it looks like suede, not waxed canvas. I wore it in a heavy downpour the day after purchasing it and stayed completely dry. It was pretty much broke in after one day of wear. It has a bi-swing back that's equipped with elastic bands like a USN jacket and isn't restricting at all. It's a mid-weight jacket that can be worn in a range of temps (Japanese cotton flannel lining and rayon sleeve lining), but Freenote also offers the same jacket in black with alpaca lining for $150 USD more. There were Freenote button down shirts for $280 - $300 in S&S, so I thought that $450 was a more than reasonable price for the flannel lined jacket.

I purchased a medium and I'm 5'10", 150-155 lbs, with a 39.5" chest. It's trim enough that I can wear a sweater underneath, but not anything thicker. I don't believe that there's a size chart listed online, but I can get measurements for you on the medium if needed.

20241020_182934.jpg

CBI

Yep - I have a few waxed canvas jackets on this level/close to this level and they are great!!! Glad you are enjoying it. In some respects waxed canvass is the new leather, same great vibe, ever better patina, variation/depth of color, generally more comfortable. love my Schaefer Outfitters and Flint and Tinder. Freenote's the bomb!!! Looks great!!! ......................and, I have received way more comments about people liking my waxed canvas than I ever do with leather, not that that should be a reason but hey............

Enigma1938

I'm thrilled with it. At first glance it looks like suede, not waxed canvas. I wore it in a heavy downpour the day after purchasing it and stayed completely dry. It was pretty much broke in after one day of wear. It has a bi-swing back that's equipped with elastic bands like a USN jacket and isn't restricting at all. It's definitely a mid-weight jacket that can be worn in a range of temps (Japanese cotton flannel lining and rayon sleeve lining), but Freenote also offers the same jacket in black with alpaca lining for $150 USD more. There were Freenote button down shirts for $280 - $300 in S&S, so I thought that $450 was a more than reasonable price for the flannel lined jacket.

I purchased a medium and I'm 5'10", 150-155 lbs, with a 39.5" chest. It's trim enough that I can wear a sweater underneath, but not anything thicker. I don't believe that there's a size chart listed online, but I can get measurements for you on the medium if needed.

View attachment 163441

Thank you for the review, I'm playing with the thought after buying one since a while. Have a Filson short lined cruiser and it's great but I really like the details (the front pleats and bi-swing especially) and the used materials on the Freenote.
In any case you look awesome with it and the fit is spot on.

B-Man2

I'm thrilled with it. At first glance it looks like suede, not waxed canvas. I wore it in a heavy downpour the day after purchasing it and stayed completely dry. It was pretty much broke in after one day of wear. It has a bi-swing back that's equipped with elastic bands like a USN jacket and isn't restricting at all. It's a mid-weight jacket that can be worn in a range of temps (Japanese cotton flannel lining and rayon sleeve lining), but Freenote also offers the same jacket in black with alpaca lining for $150 USD more. There were Freenote button down shirts for $280 - $300 in S&S, so I thought that $450 was a more than reasonable price for the flannel lined jacket.

View attachment 163441
Jacket looks good …. You guys look good as well !!:)

Smithy

That's one of a jacket ! Wearing it must be like quite an armor. I'm not jocking , I like this kind of 3/4 leather coats ( I had one quite similar from my grand father ). Heavy leather ? About the service shoes , are they ATF repros type2 ? They look beautiful.

Thank you.

The Barnstormer is heavy but comfortably so now as it is well broken in. I love wearing it and Horween's CXL FQHH is some of the prettiest leather IMHO.

Shoes are actually Mil-Tec Sturm ones but I've fiddled around and "antiqued" them with polishes and whatnot.

coolhandluke

Jacket looks good …. You guys look good as well !!:)
Thanks Burt! Despite my best efforts, I just can't get my wife interested in leather jackets or vintage styled clothing. I'm honestly a little jealous that Jan and Thomas have wives that share their interest. I guess I should just be thankful that she tolerates my ridiculous (to her) hobbies...lol.

B-Man2

Thanks Burt! Despite my best efforts, I just can't get my wife interested in leather jackets or vintage styled clothing. I'm honestly a little jealous that Jan and Thomas have wives that share their interest. I guess I should just be thankful that she tolerates my ridiculous (to her) hobbies...lol.
. I guess I should just be thankful that she tolerates my ridiculous (to her) hobbies...lol.

I was thinking that as long as she’s ok with all of it ….. You’re in great shape !!