• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

Grant

Original 1943 Elgin this morning!

ElG.jpg

Saint-ex

Guys, I'm on cloud nine. I just achieved a dream by buying my holy grail watch!

IMG_3958.jpeg

For the anecdote, I had tried 3 out of the 4 Type 20 models, the French Air Force-issued watches from the 50s/60s, at a vintage watch dealer in 2022. Dreaming of a Dodane, it was a revelation. The most beautiful one is the Vixa!

At that time, it wasn’t possible, so I let it go, keeping an eye on the listing until it showed as sold.

But it remained a saved search on Chrono24, and I regularly scanned the listings. However, it’s not common.
And last Saturday, we happened to pass by this shop again, and I told my wife and brother-in-law that if they had a Vixa in the window, I would have to buy it.

As you might guess, they had one.

So, it’s a chronograph with a flyback function, made in 1954 according to Air Force specifications by the Hanhart workshops in occupied Germany. Hence its resemblance to its German cousin.

With each visit to the military watchmaker's workshop, an FG (for « fin de garantie » - end of warranty) with date engraving was stamped on the case back. So, I know it was in service from 1954 until the early 1980s.

IMG_3960.jpeg

B-Man2

View attachment 153551

For the anecdote, I had tried 3 out of the 4 Type 20 models, the French Air Force-issued watches from the 50s/60s, at a vintage watch dealer in 2022. Dreaming of a Dodane, it was a revelation. The most beautiful one is the Vixa!

At that time, it wasn’t possible, so I let it go, keeping an eye on the listing until it showed as sold.

But it remained a saved search on Chrono24, and I regularly scanned the listings. However, it’s not common.
And last Saturday, we happened to pass by this shop again, and I told my wife and brother-in-law that if they had a Vixa in the window, I would have to buy it.

So, it’s a chronograph with a flyback function, made in 1954 according to Air Force specifications by the Hanhart workshops in occupied Germany. Hence its resemblance to its German cousin.

With each visit to the military watchmaker's workshop, an FG (for « fin de garantie » - end of warranty) with date engraving was stamped on the case back. So, I know it was in service from 1954 until the early 1980s.

View attachment 153553
Congrats !
I know how great it is to finally acquire a watch that you’ve been dreaming about owning one day.

entertainment

View attachment 153551

View attachment 153553
I'm jealous!

coolhandluke

Great watch…nice set!
… but Erika does not have a single cm of original Nageur De Combat strap.. all repro material, sorry.
Original material looks like that.The clamps are not marked but the red piped strap itself allways.
View attachment 156437View attachment 156439

The think that the OP was only referencing the name of the company...Erika's Originals. I don't think that he's claiming that it's "original" parachute webbing. IIRC, I currently own 14 straps from Erika. I've yet to find a more comfortable strap. Nick Mankey's Hook Straps are a close second.

20240318_202652.jpg

20240722_155535.jpg

4hVLhhY.jpeg

20240709_152301.jpg

20240220_154201.jpg

20230403_160637.jpg

20240724_160712.jpg

20230603_154050.jpg

20230614_175721.jpg

20230530_193342.jpg

BTW, how did you end up with that hoarde of Marine Nationale straps Bryce?

Last edited:

Pilot

The think that the OP was only referencing the name of the company...Erika's Originals. I don't think that he's claiming that it's "original" parachute webbing. IIRC, I currently own 14 straps from Erika. I've yet to find a more comfortable strap. Nick Mankey's Hook Straps are a close second.

View attachment 156481

View attachment 156483

View attachment 156489

View attachment 156487

View attachment 156491

View attachment 156493

View attachment 156495

View attachment 156499

View attachment 156501

View attachment 156503

BTW, how did you end up with that hoarde of Marine Nationale straps Bryce?
Thankyou for your clarification:
Nice watches you have.Congrats!
As for my originals, I sell them to vintage watch collectors.