• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Sideslip

Long time no post, just cool enough to wear the GW RW 27752
IMG_0521.jpeg

Sideslip

I’m betting that the fact that @Sideslip is as trim as a WWII 21 year old pilot … may have a lot to do with the ideal fit of the jacket.
That's very kind, but I think that having a great cut jacket helps tremendously. I still struggle to find right size originals for me, I seem to be between a 42 and 44 so they are either a little too tight or big, but with this GW (which was not a custom), it really worked out.

CK90

That's very kind, but I think that having a great cut jacket helps tremendously. I still struggle to find right size originals for me, I seem to be between a 42 and 44 so they are either a little too tight or big, but with this GW (which was not a custom), it really worked out.
I’m roughly the same size as you Sideslip, it’s all personal preference but for me, along with how this Rough Wear looks on you, I’d always opt for the 44. Looks absolutely ace.

B-Man2

What I’ve found to be true with original A2 jackets is that you should never go “tight or trim” with them for two reasons.
1. They just don’t drape right.
2. Going tight puts added stress on the jackets stitch lines and knits which are 80 years old and don’t have much give or strength, so for those reasons I like an original to fit a little loose . Consider going with a 44 if you like originals.

Jennison

Perfect fit!!!!!!!!
I noticed that right away as well. Absolutely perfect WWII fit. Think about the stuff those guys had to wear under their A-2s (if they felt it appropriate to shed the weight of a B-3). A B-17 relied on its left inboard (#2) engine for heating the forward-middle and front parts of the aircraft. The warmest station was the flight deck, and it was still cold. A pilot wore an undershirt, a dress shirt, a tie (yes, especially in the early part of the War), often a sweater, a flight suit, a scarf, and then the jacket. They had more stuff in their flight bags, in case the heat went or and/or there were icy currents created by battle damage. You’ll even see garments worn over the A2. Those crew photos were generally taken when the crew was first put together; they dressed for the photo, without all the layers (you’ll notice many men are wearing their leather dress shoes). The jackets look baggy (with that front “cow catcher” look) and they were. By WWII, 25,000-30,000 foot altitudes were a beaten path. Also, it’s not like the Army allowed one to hang out in a London pub donning a cool looking A-2, of any fit. Trim fitting jackets were mostly worn by ground execs and adjutants, men who didn’t fly. Obviously you can never say “never,” or “always,” but the record generally backs all this up, as does logical reasoning.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I noticed that right away as well. Absolutely perfect WWII fit. Think about the stuff those guys had to wear under their A-2s (if they felt it appropriate to shed the weight of a B-3). A B-17 relied on its left inboard (#2) engine for heating the forward middle and front parts of the aircraft. The warmest station was the flight deck, and it was still cold. A pilot wore an undershirt, a dress shirt, a tie (yes, especially in the early part of the War), often a sweater, a flight suit, a scarf, and then the jacket. They had more stuff in their flight bags, in case the heat went or and/or there were icy currents created by battle damage. You’ll even see garments worn over the A2. Those crew photos were generally taken when the crew was first put together; they dressed for the photo, without all the layers (you’ll notice many men are wearing their leather dress shoes). The jackets look baggy (with that front “cow catcher” look) and they were. By WWII, 25,000-30,000 foot altitudes were a beaten path. Also, it’s not like the Army allowed one to hang out in a London pub donning a cool looking A-2, of any fit. Trim fitting jackets were mostly worn by ground execs and adjutants, men who didn’t fly. Obviously you can never say “never,” or “always,” but the record generally backs all this up, as does logical reasoning.
Exactly !!!
Been saying that for a while
Long underwear .. heavy wool shirt, long sleeve mechanics sweater etc .

CK90

I noticed that right away as well. Absolutely perfect WWII fit. Think about the stuff those guys had to wear under their A-2s (if they felt it appropriate to shed the weight of a B-3). A B-17 relied on its left inboard (#2) engine for heating the forward-middle and front parts of the aircraft. The warmest station was the flight deck, and it was still cold. A pilot wore an undershirt, a dress shirt, a tie (yes, especially in the early part of the War), often a sweater, a flight suit, a scarf, and then the jacket. They had more stuff in their flight bags, in case the heat went or and/or there were icy currents created by battle damage. You’ll even see garments worn over the A2. Those crew photos were generally taken when the crew was first put together; they dressed for the photo, without all the layers (you’ll notice many men are wearing their leather dress shoes). The jackets look baggy (with that front “cow catcher” look) and they were. By WWII, 25,000-30,000 foot altitudes were a beaten path. Also, it’s not like the Army allowed one to hang out in a London pub donning a cool looking A-2, of any fit. Trim fitting jackets were mostly worn by ground execs and adjutants, men who didn’t fly. Obviously you can never say “never,” or “always,” but the record generally backs all this up, as does logical reasoning.
Exactly !!!
Been saying that for a while
Long underwear .. heavy wool shirt, long sleeve mechanics sweater etc .
Preach, brothers. Add to this, that fundamentally a more relaxed fit reveals the beauty of the pattern. Especially a contractor like Rough Wear, who really have some optical illusion lines going on in their patterns.

Last edited: