• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

geedee

1725010692079.png

My uncle Bill flew in Lancaster bombers with 550 squadron out of Killingholme in WW2. He's the hooligan standing next to the guy on the left. He was aged 27 at the time, and had been working for some years at the Lancaster bomber factory near Manchester before joining the RAF flying the things he had previously built. His job was Rear Air Gunner, or "tail-end Charlie" as they were called at the time; squashed into a tiny perspex gun compartment at the very back of the plane for hours at at time in freezing cold, and I wouldn't have rated his chances if the plane was in trouble. He survived the war, completing his tour of duty eighty years ago on 28 Aug 1944, his tour of duty included attacking the German guns overlooking the D-Day beaches (his was one of the first 12 bombers over Normandy just before the D-Day landings), attacks in support of the D-Day breakout, V-1 sites, and armaments factories in the Ruhr Valley (or "Happy Valley" as it was known). One one occasion they had to struggle home with holes in the plane from flak and only 3 of the 4 engines working. The crew were an interesting lot - the pilot (stood next to the guy on the right) was a USAAF flyer - I'd like to know how he ended up flying RAF Lancs! - while the Navigator and Air Bomber were both Canadians. My uncle died in 1968; sadly I was still a baby and too young to remember him.

Shanghai-Mayne

I forgot the Soviet soldier‘s name. But, It was based on a true history event. During an encounter with more than a dozen enemy soldiers, he fought with the only weapon in his hand.

IMG_6448.jpeg

Micawber

Soldier on left “I don’t really know what this thread is about anymore, do you?”

Soldier on right “I haven’t a clue mate - but do you think if we stand here long enough Sid will top us up with an 'alf of bitter for nowt?”

Sid the landlord “Not on your Nelly! Now drink up and hop it!”

IMG_3207.jpeg

Edited to resize image [hopefully]..

Last edited: