• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Cocker

You're welcome mate. If the old brain is not too fuzzy I seem to remember you were reading Goody's "Tumult in the Clouds" last year. Did you finish it and what did you think? I've read it a couple of times and find it a great read and quite evocative of the period and the characters in the 4th.

Sadly I never met the chap but he was apparently the most lovely fellow.

Indeed I did, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's, to date, one of my favorite WW2 book!

Currently reading RT smith's Tale of a Tiger, and it's on a good start to be propelled on the podium. The guy has an amazing writing style.

Smithy

Not the greatest photo but then again it's nice to try and remember everybody who flew with the 4th no matter how famous or successful they were.

So here we have Archie Chatterly in front of his Jug "California or Bust"

media-13509.jpeg

Smithy

Here's one for today...

LeRoy Gover of 336 with his Jug. Gover's wartime letters and diaries were used by Philip Caine to write the excellent bio of Gover called "Spitfires, Thunderbolts and Warm Beer". Apart from being a brilliant read it gets my vote for best title of a fighter pilot's memoir/bio yet.

media-18938.jpeg

Smithy

It's a really good read Cédric, thoroughly enjoyable. Gover was an Eagle and then went into the 4th, his letters and diary writings also give a great impression of wartime England and what it was like to be a Yank in Blighty. Pick up a copy you won't regret it.

Smithy

Although there's only one A-2 in this photo, this one is a real cracker. Some of the boys outside the officer's mess at Debden, winter 1942/43 and as anyone will know if they're familiar with the 4th FG, seeing them in B-3s is very, very rare. And even a couple of Irvins to boot, remnants of their service with the Eagle Squadrons.

1b9df31834d1179baf02ba50b50a536f.jpg

Smithy

We've had a few photos of Gentile before but I was inspired to post an image today of him and his P-47D "Donnie Boy" because I've just picked up a 1/48 Tamiya P-47D Razorback model kit and a decal sheet with the markings for Donnie Boy so I'm looking to build it shortly. Plus this is such a wonderful photo...

media-21359.jpeg

And just because we've had LeRoy Gover lately I thought I'd post this great pic of him in his A-2 with popped collar and as was popular with a few former Eagles from their RAF days, a polka dot silk scarf.

media-23803.jpeg