• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

Shanghai-Mayne

IMG_8580.jpeg

ZuZu

I've bought copies of the A-2 from several Japanese brands, including buzzrickons and the real mccoys, but I've always found them A little slim-fitting and expensive. gizemo also recreated the A-2 this year, and it was nice to see the pictures. It's made of Italian Maya leather, contract number 27752。
View attachment 160169View attachment 160171View attachment 160173View attachment 160175
Beautiful!

Weird though- I notice that as with all Rough Wear repros the collar just doesn't sit like an original- it's too blandly curved and even. The original has a more definite series of 3 bends- one arc across the neck- another coming down on the side of the neck- and then a little whoop-d-doo ant the very end at the front. Many many originals have this- I've never seen it on any repro. I can't explain it but it's true. ironically I do see this look on cheapo Avirex's and Coopers...
24561727533939_.pic.jpg

CK90

Beautiful!

Weird though- I notice that as with all Rough Wear repros the collar just doesn't sit like an original- it's too blandly curved and even. The original has a more definite series of 3 bends- one arc across the neck- another coming down on the side of the neck- and then a little whoop-d-doo ant the very end at the front. Many many originals have this- I've never seen it on any repro. I can't explain it but it's true. ironically I do see this look on cheapo Avirex's and Coopers...
View attachment 161471
Zuzu, surely... https://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/RoughWear18091_No6_44/

ZuZu

Close but still evened out- no obvious jogs in the collar neck line. The closest by far- but...

collar.jpg

The shape of the neck line is one smooth line- I'm sure mostly because JC wanted to photograph it that way. However- I've never seen even a GW just naturally create the 3 part neck line fold I see in so many original RWs. Not a criticism- I think it's because in pattern and sewing he has to tend toward the ideal.

Originals:
18091 classic collar.jpg

7.jpg

There are literally scores of examples of this in my morgue file. I don't think that wear will do this- in fact I've never seen even a well worn repro do this. It's some foible of sewing order or subtle pattern quirk which creates this especially in Rough Wears.

CK90

Close but still evened out- no obvious jogs in the collar neck line. The closest by far- but...

View attachment 161515

The shape of the neck line is one smooth line- I'm sure mostly because JC wanted to photograph it that way. However- I've never seen even a GW just naturally create the 3 part neck line fold I see in so many original RWs. Not a criticism- I think it's because in pattern and sewing he has to tend toward the ideal.

Originals:
View attachment 161517

View attachment 161519

There are literally scores of examples of this in my morgue file. I don't think that wear will do this- in fact I've never seen even a well worn repro do this. It's some foible of sewing order or subtle pattern quirk which creates this especially in Rough Wears.
Man, this is why I pay attention when you speak Zuzu, education time. Fantastic.

ZuZu

Man, this is why I pay attention when you speak Zuzu, education time. Fantastic.
Thanks- it's a curse for me and for you guys1

Here's an example of a large 48 27752 which shows a smoother neck line- a justification of the smoother line seen in repros:

27752 48 front.JPG

However- so many more originals show the 3 part neck line fold:

27752 46collar.jpg

mw rw_27752_js_label.jpg

RW_23.jpg

I think it's because there is more material in the body of the collar than can be folded in a perfect curve- also I think that the collar curve evens out flat towards the windflap. But really it's inexplicable to me- I just see it.

CK90

Thanks- it's a curse for me and for you guys1

Here's an example of a large 48 27752 which shows a smoother neck line- a justification of the smoother line seen in repros:

View attachment 161523

However- so many more originals show the 3 part neck line fold:

View attachment 161525

View attachment 161527

View attachment 161529

I think it's because there is more material in the body of the collar than can be folded in a perfect curve- also I think that the collar curve evens out flat towards the windflap. But really it's inexplicable to me- I just see it.
For wearing and really showing off those Rough Wear lines, I like the smooth collar.

But there's something obtusely cool about the 3 line dimension!

ZuZu

Sorry- this whole line should have been in the Repro section, not in the "All Jackets but A-2s" section. Sorry about that. I've tried to remedy that in my own inept way and I apologize for taking this thread way off track!