• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Japanese A-2s

Banzai

The Real McCoy’s is a tiny bit less expensive, but they only have one model, and I can’t get Sugarcane jeans there. But if it’s better, perhaps I’ll forego the jeans…

taiAtari

Junky Special in Shinjuku has a similar or even bigger selection of Buzz/Sugarcane (Toyo) than Hinoya and is a lot closer to TRM (about 3 subway stops). So you might be able to squeeze in both.

As you are probably aware they are very nice jackets in their own right, but if by a 'better' A2 you mean more accurate/higher quality I'd forego the Japanese efforts and get in line for a Goodwear.

Last edited:

Banzai

Junky Special in Shinjuku has a similar or even bigger selection of Buzz/Sugarcane (Toyo) than Hinoya and is a lot closer to TRM (about 3 subway stops). So you might be able to squeeze in both.

As you are probably aware they are very nice jackets in their own right, but if by a 'better' A2 you mean more accurate/higher quality I'd forego the Japanese efforts and get in line for a Goodwear.
Of course Goodwear is the better repro…but I want to try on at least one of the Japanese makes. And, it it happens to be a great fit, I can get it now, and at a very favorable exchange rate.

I need to check out Junky Special. We stay in Shinjuku, and I didn’t even know it was there. If their prices are better than Hinoya, double bonus.

taiAtari

Prices wil be standard retail although you might get a tax free option at some/most stores (definitely worth to check this at the price of a leather jacket).

If you're looking for a deal, there are a lot of high quality vintage stores that sell clothing from top brands (besides the standard vintage shops you find all over the world).

They will often have stuff from buzz, trm, and other top repro and denim brands under the 'American Casual' or 'Military' categories. It takes some luck to find what you're after (especially if you are above a size 40), but prices are obviously good, although obviously not dirt cheap. A well known chain is '2nd street'. Often their focus will be influenced by stores in the area.

Are you going anywhere besides Tokyo? The best 2nd hand store for high quality Japenese repros I've found is Junk Vintage in Osaka (bonus: within walking distance from MASH). Another top one is the KOMEYHO main store in Nagoya (although other locations of this chain are focused on luxury items like handbags and watches). These are sometimes also good places to stumble on original stuff, the komehyo actually had an original C-2 vest!).

B-Man2

Only Tokyo. I have a 24hr layover, so not a lot of time. Time for one good stop and dinner, really.
Dinner ?? ….. Dinner???…… My God Man!!
You’re in Jacket Valhalla Land ….. we don’t need no stinkin dinner! ;)

tmp.gif

taiAtari

Ah, makes sense then. I did a quick check and it seems TRM does not offer a tax free option, Junky Special (and Hinoya) do. So don't forget to bring your passport to the stores, since this will be another substantial saving on an expensive item.

Banzai

Ah, makes sense then. I did a quick check and it seems TRM does not offer a tax free option, Junky Special (and Hinoya) do. So don't forget to bring your passport to the stores, since this will be another substantial saving on an expensive item.
Thanks for that! That narrows it down quite a bit. I could conceivably hit up both Junky Special and Hinoya, to do some quick price comparisons. It looks like Junky is owned by Toyo…I wonder if they might be a bit cheaper on Buzz or Sugarcane…

taiAtari

Prices will be the same, check their respective presence on rakuten (links go to available BR (leather) flight jackets):

So if you've got limited time and are in Shinjuku I'd go to Junky Special for the A2's and if you've got time maybe visit some nice stores in nearby Shibuja or Koenji like the Flat Head, Studio d'Artisan, TRM, Momotaro etc. Koenji is especially good for many high quality second hand stores in a small area.

Hinoya is very friendly and nice of course, but it will take significant time to get there and there probably won't be a better selection or better prices.