• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boots / shoes to wear with your flight jacket s...

Dumpster D

Check out them Shoes!!!

Look at the guy on the left! Are those some kind of sneakers? Wonder what those are!! :cool:

Capture.JPG

Jennison

Glad to see the sneaker posts! My first cousin (once removed, so my dad’s first cousin) was a P-47 pilot during WWII. Late in the War, his plane was hit while on a low level strafing run. He bailed out at about 1,500 feet and landed in a small German town. In a short while, an entire platoon of Wehrmacht soldiers came up to him and surrendered, probably to avoid being captured by the Russians. They pointed him in the direction of the American lines and off they all went.
What a sight, around 70 armed soldiers and their commander surrendering to a guy in sneakers with a .45.

Jennison

Are these boots in current production anywhere?
I bought mine a couple of years ago. They’re made by Bass, but I don’t see that they offer them now. Most of the ones you’ll find (mine included) also have a side zipper, but that’s ok since they’re not on the outside and are hardly noticeable (quite convenient too). That said, if you can fit size 10A, there is a pair of vintage Allen Edmonds on eBay for $25 (!!!). Those might very well be what Robert Lansing is wearing. I saw a pair of these on an early War US pilot mannequin; he was wearing Roblees.

Jennison

You’ll want the type that has the tongue on the outside, on top of the instep, as in the photos. Here’s the vintage pair of Allen Edmonds shoes in 10A. These even have the Cat’s Paw heels. Because I looked at them, I was sent an offer for $21. What size are you?

Pa12

You’ll want the type that has the tongue on the outside, on top of the instep, as in the photos. Here’s the vintage pair of Allen Edmonds shoes in 10A. These even have the Cat’s Paw heels. Because I looked at them, I was sent an offer for $21. What size are you?

Jodhpur boots are very similar . I’ve got a couple pair.

Jennison

More like an 11 1/2 wide. Could almost squeeze those on maybe, it would be snug. They look awesome!!... and affordable too. :D
I know I saw Aldo(something) boots on Ebay that have the profile and correct tongue. They're like 70 bucks and come in all sizes They have zippers on the inboard side (who cares), but they also have a short zipper on the outside (not sure why). Still when I saw them, I almost bought them to have a second pair. Pa12 is correct though, you can also search Jodhpur boots. In fact, I believe that's what Roblee called them. The attached 1942 ad refers to the low cuts as Jodhpurs. You can see where the tongue is on the outside top of the instep. The boots (not shown) were much more popular among Air Corps flyers.

Attachments

• Roblee.jpg
    Roblee.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 38

Jennison

A-3 trousers? I’d never get away with it. My wife likes my A-2 (she also likes the shoes I’ve referenced here). But when she sees me go out the door also with AAF gloves and a B-2 cap, she says I’ve gone from looking cool to looking like a dork in a costume. Little does she know. She hasn’t seen me in the supermarket with a Mae West over all that….

mulceber

I’ve got a couple pairs of shoes from Beckett Simonon and they’ve been great. This is tempting.

Please keep me in the loop about those A-6 boots?... and what about those Mitts too!!
Will do. I checked in with Shawn about a week ago and he’s got all the materials now. He should have something to show me any time now. :cool:

Pa12

View attachment 154059
I originally was trying to get those. They won’t ship to canada

Jennison

Dumpster: How about these? Looks like Avirex made a run of them at some point. These are 10-1/2 extra wide. I don’t believe the bit about Avirex being contracted by the Air Force to make 1930s-40s brown boots in 1978. Why would they write these things? Probably for the same reason they made similar b.s. boasts about their A-2. Still, they look pretty nice and are cheap.

Dumpster D

Dumpster: How about these?

Maybe kinda pointy but, I dunno.

They look like nice leather, It can be very hard ordering shoes not being able to try them on, same with clothes and everything too.

I never noticed these style of boots until you pointed them out, they look similar to me, like the US shearling boots but without the uppers.

Gonna keep my eyes out for a pair of these in size.