• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 USAF-issue A-2 Contracts

FtrPlt

While I've heard suggestions that 'Avirex was first' for many years, I've only recently seen a jacket that suggests it might actually be true. The jacket has an NSN on the tag and the number corresponds to a specification issued 5 July 1987. Same NSN also lists Willis & Geiger as an additional vendor.

NSN is 8415-01-258-6405 (size 44R)

While I haven't seen a W&G jacket with NSN, it appears a low volume purchase (I've read unsubstantiated references to 200-400 jackets) was made to get jackets visible for USAFs 40th anniversary (Sep 87).

The first large volume contract (53,000 jackets) was awarded to Cooper Sportswear (Saddlery) in 1988.

Photo below via internet. I don't know the source. Credit to source

Attachments

• 1000000319.jpg
    1000000319.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 31

Pilot

As a little side note… just see the quality of the « cut, pattern », the goatskin, the knitting and the overall of the « legit issued USAF A-2 « and compare with the « lookalikes and so called… »

B-Man2

I don’t believe this is an issued USAF jacket. The tag looks more like a commercial tag than an original USAF tag. Also it looks the tag was re-sewn into the lining of the jacket.
Theres no contract number on the tag .
The NSN number or National Stock Number is not a contract number but rather a number used to list items in the National Stock Procurement System. This was obviously used on the label to try and give the impression that the jacket is authentic and original .

FtrPlt

I've been chasing claims of alleged Avirex jackets purchase in the lead-up to the Saddlery contract on and off for quite a few years.

I'm going on the theory that some batch of jackets was procured prior to the 40th anniversary and commencement of the Saddlery contract.

B-man -- fair comments. How many other non-issue A-2 jackets have NSNs assigned for the full size range? I don't know the answer nor have I looked.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I've been chasing claims of alleged Avirex jackets purchase in the lead-up to the Saddlery contract on and off for quite a few years.

I'm going on the theory that some batch of jackets was procured prior to the 40th anniversary and commencement of the Saddlery contract.

B-man -- fair comments. How many other non-issue A-2 jackets have NSNs assigned for the full size range? I don't know the answer nor have I looked.
As far as I know … there aren’t any non issue or I guess you could refer to them as commercially made jackets which have NSN numbers. The National Stock Procurement System is a list of thousands of items from jackets to tools to parts etc. Each item has its own 13 digit number in the catalogue . So if you wanted to order a G-1 jacket for example. You filled out a “MIPR” Military Interdepartmental Purchase Request, listing the funding number and NSN number and size for the “G-1 jacket size 42 one each”.
I’ll post some links if your interested .

FtrPlt

I'm not aware of any, either. But, to be fair, I've never looked.

Unsubstantiated rumour/urban legend suggests Avirex produced a couple of hundred jackets prior to Saddlery being awarded the initial contract. Somewhat makes sense if you wanted to demo what was coming vis-a-vis the resissue of the A-2.

Were these couple of hundred jackets existing Avirex A-2s with 'new' labels added? No idea.

The jacket shown was allegedly issued to the owner in 2006. Which would mean this jacket potentially lingered in the supply system for nearly 20 years. While it sounds far-fetched, my ANG unit still had Saddlery jackets on the try-on racks in the early 2000s.

Just to muddy the waters, it appears the Avirex DSCP jackets are sporting the same NSN series. So not sure how/when/why this series of NSNs has an origination date of July 87?