• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1987 USAF-issue A-2 Contracts

FtrPlt

While I've heard suggestions that 'Avirex was first' for many years, I've only recently seen a jacket that suggests it might actually be true. The jacket has an NSN on the tag and the number corresponds to a specification issued 5 July 1987. Same NSN also lists Willis & Geiger as an additional vendor.

NSN is 8415-01-258-6405 (size 44R)

While I haven't seen a W&G jacket with NSN, it appears a low volume purchase (I've read unsubstantiated references to 200-400 jackets) was made to get jackets visible for USAFs 40th anniversary (Sep 87).

The first large volume contract (53,000 jackets) was awarded to Cooper Sportswear (Saddlery) in 1988.

Photo below via internet. I don't know the source. Credit to source

Attachments

• 1000000319.jpg
    1000000319.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 18

Pilot

As a little side note… just see the quality of the « cut, pattern », the goatskin, the knitting and the overall of the « legit issued USAF A-2 « and compare with the « lookalikes and so called… »