• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very unusual Perry B3

Dumpster D

I’ll pull her out today and snap some more detailed pictures. Glad y’all like this thing as much as I do!

Areas of interest include Zipper...Teeth, insert pin, stop box, pull tab, any kind of markings/stamps etc.

Pocket, Tag/label, Areas under the gusset and underarm, the collar straps, cuffs, any buckles and hardware, some of the seams and stitching, any indication of empty stitch holes, or peculiar flaws and anything else noteworthy.

Worth taking the time to gently lay the jacket out with the arms correctly folded out to shape and get a few shots of the entire jacket which is a little tricky. 10 photos more or less would be a nice number to aim for. (You can upload the photos by clicking and dragging them into the text box I think?)

Even if you can take some rough measurements while you're at it, might as well.

blackrat2

Combat clone depending on what you asked John for, could be sewing with a human touch( not straight but solid), misaligned pockets etc and burnishing the high spots and wear points to make the jacket appear more worn, all very subtle and well done, not over the top
Have a look on his site , there are several posted up in his catalog of made jackets

Smithy

Combat clone depending on what you asked John for, could be sewing with a human touch( not straight but solid), misaligned pockets etc and burnishing the high spots and wear points to make the jacket appear more worn, all very subtle and well done, not over the top
Have a look on his site , there are several posted up in his catalog of made jackets

A combat clone from John is the closest so far any repro will get to an actual wartime issued jacket. Just awesome.

B-Man2

Thank y’all! Happy to contribute

As most of the knowledgeable people above have advised… a combat clone would be the way to go. It will look slightly worn and maybe even a little soiled in places of wear
( just guessing on that one ) but I dont think you’d want a lily white jacket in this particular sheepskin style.

Dumpster D

'm sure JC would know how to reproduce a great patina on white sheepskin.

I'll do a great patina on a white sheepskin in a hurry, couple days wrenchin' on my vehicle out in the cold changin' the earls and brakes and swappin some sauce and sealin' up them vacuum leaks on the air intake so the censors don't trip ...slappin' some gobs a grease with a brush on them door hinges and whatnot...You're gonna get there on that good old wear and tear in a real hurry. ;)

Maybe a little too much patina eh?

Hows about reefin' on some Tractor bolts, my buddy's got an old 1940's era with the whirlywoo mod on the backside, needs a new gasket, she's a leakin' sauce all day...Tellin ya, new fuel linage probly maybe, lightning hoses..Cook up a new battery, install a new starter motor.

IMG_5972.jpeg
IMG_5974.jpeg
IMG_5976.jpeg
IMG_5973.jpeg
IMG_5971.jpeg
IMG_5978.jpeg
IMG_5982.jpeg
IMG_5990.jpeg
IMG_5991.jpeg
IMG_5986.jpeg

B-Man2

Man .. that thing is rarer than rocking horse shit !
Congrats on a great find .
If I can offer a suggestion …
Send that jacket to John Chapman when he’s making yours . He can use it as a “go bye” to duplicate as near as possible the wear and coloring of your new B-3 with the original
And while he’s at it he might just be able to give you some insight on restoring the original and knowing John he might even offer to restore it for you for a fee .
( John if you’re reading this and I’ve over stepped here I apologize )

Man .. that thing is rarer than rocking horse shit !
Congrats on a great find .
If I can offer a suggestion …
Send that jacket to John Chapman when he’s making yours . He can use it as a “go bye” to duplicate as near as possible the wear and coloring of your new B-3 with the original
And while he’s at it he might just be able to give you some insight on restoring the original and knowing John he might even offer to restore it for you for a fee .
( John if you’re reading this and I’ve over stepped here I apologize )
I mentioned it to him in our messages and I’d love to send it his way to work off of and potential conservation. I want to preserve this thing as best as possible.

Dumpster D

Man that thing is Realllly somethin' ...I mean really, someone took pretty good care of it and looked after it well. The sleeves hardly look broken in...It's got low hours of wear time, really low.

Back in that Jackets day, the wearer musta' knew it was significant and unique, one of a kind, even for it's time.

I wonder who wore it, and where they were stationed and what kinda plane they was flying, what position of crew member etc etc. If that thing could only talk, you know!!

It's a DANDY!!

Amazing to see something like this exists still. Wow. Where you been hidin' out old gal?