• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some pictures of the Irvin jackets in my RAF collection

jonnyboy

Andrew, the belt would need to be attached to the jacket before the side seam tapes are sewn. I'd imagine it was never intended to have a belt. Or someone forgot to put one on!

Cheers,

Jon

Roughwear

Good point Jon. We will never know for sure why it does not have a belt. I wonder if there are any more 1932 beltless Irvins in existance?

rich

Lebensgefahr said:
Don`t tell him your name Pike!

Thanks for the info on the Hurricane pilot. And I wholly understand and respect your discretion regarding the air gunner, thanks again. (I don't think that line can be too well know outside of the UK...... :D :D )

cm-1.jpg

Andrew

Thanks for the extra details LG, you can't possibly post a collection like this here and not attract a pile of questions- we're passionate Irvin freaks (and no offence but I still can't quite fathom the link between the Deutsch sprechen and the collection). I do understand your reluctance though, and over time i hope that you post some more of your collection. Ultimately it's up to the current caretaker to decide if they want to share the treasures they've put together so thanks for letting us in. What you have there is possibly more fascinating and focused than most museums. You and Rocky should consider getting together!

Lebensgefahr

Hello Andrew

Thanks for the kind comments.It`s nice to think people can appreciate the effort put in and hopefully enjoy the pictures.At this rate you might weaken my resolve re more pictures.
I have talked at length with my friends with regard to flying clothing museums and to be honest there aren`t really any that cater for this branch of interest.Mores the pity.
With regard to Rocky,i don`t collect American flying clothing.I used to collect WW2 American flying jackets but they have all long since gone but having said that i`m still a fanatical flight jacket wearer albeit repros now. :mrgreen:

LG

philip.ed

Lebensgefahr said:

No problem in your reluctance to post pictures, LG. I can see exactly with a collection as amazing and intersting as yours. I collect BoB flight-gear, and that is a lovely set up there. From what I can see, it's all original? (apart from maybe the oxy-hose?). That 1932 pattern mae-west and type 19 mic are among the nicest I've ever seen.
Thank you for such enticing, informative postings.
Regards,
Ben

Lebensgefahr

Hello Ben

Thank you for the kind comments.As you rightly say,everything in the photo is original bar the oxygen hose.I`m not a fan of repro stuff but have made an exception in the case of the oxygen tubes as i feel they finish the mannequins off.I do have one original piece on a mannequin but it is the later black uncovered type and i also have a piece of the earlier covered type but it`s only about two feet long but i was grateful to get it as it`s as rare as hens teeth as i`m sure your`e aware.
The type 19 mike is quite a nice one,it`s the later single piece chamois type.I do have the earlier type with the two piece chamois as well.Both are complete with the serrated disk switch.

I must be honest and say that i didn`t expect the amount of kind and positive comments that have been made,i`m very grateful to everyone who has taken the time to comment.To that end i will seriously consider posting a few more photos.If i do,as a fellow Battle of Britain collector let me know if there is a particular piece of equipment that you would like to see and if i have it i will post a picture.

All the best
LG

philip.ed

Hi LB
no problem in the comments! As I said before, it sounds like you have an amazing collection. As far as BoB collecting goes, I'd only be really interested in seeing pictures of the rarer items, if you have them, such as the GQ parasuit, as I wouldn't want to make you go out of your way to take photos!
It would be interesting to see the braiding pattern of your original length of hosing, as there was a period a year or so ago where I was interested in attempting to catalogue the various patterns that existed.
Cheers!

Lebensgefahr

Hello Ben

Please find below the picture you asked for and i have put an extra one in.
In case your`e wondering(your`e probably not!)the thing in the Defiant gunners left hand is a turret rotation handle which came from a 264 Squadron Defiant.The commission certificate below the Irvin jacket is also named to a Battle of Britain pilot.

For those that have noticed(no one probably),please excuse some items(signs,scarves etc)appearing in multiple photos as a lot of these shots were taken as the room was put together and i moved stuff around as and when necessary.Sorry for the angle of the first photo,i didn`t realise i had one leg shorter than the other!
Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Boulton Paul Defiant gunner
DSC010461.jpg

Extra picture of my other 32 pattern Mae West and my operational cap.
DSC01037.jpg

Ditto Rich`s posting above.

LG :p

rich

More glorious kit - fantastic. It must be a curious feeling to go to any air museum in the UK and be able to say, naah I've got better stuff than that at home...............

Lebensgefahr

Hello Rich

I think the main advantage museums have over private collections is space.They can display items in a more sympathetic way.Also if the museum is on the site of a former airfield it`s also more atmospheric.My room is 15 feet by 18 feet and to display everything i have in the manner which i would ideally like the room would need to be three times the size.
I still enjoy going to museums to see how things are displayed(and pinch any good ideas).My friends and i all agree that for us the best aviation museum in Britain is Elvington.I really would like to have the control tower to display my gear in.My friends(whose collections are very similar to mine)are a lot pickier about the displays in museums than i am.

Ben
I`m not looking for any Battle of Britain items(obviously items with history are a different matter) so unless i have made a glaring omission i have an example of all the equipment used in that period.I do stand to be corrected though.

Andrew
With regard to the Hurricane i think(the long suffering) Mrs Lebensgefahr might put her foot down on that one.
I do have a spade grip and control column(i collect these as well as flying clothing) from a Mk1 Hurricane if that counts?

With regard to more pictures,i wasn`t planning on posting anymore for a while as i didn`t want people to get bored with them.

LG :mrgreen:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Lebensgefahr said:
With regard to more pictures,i wasn`t planning on posting anymore for a while as i didn`t want people to get bored with them.

No worries there ... ;)

Lebensgefahr

Hi

I couldn`t resist posting a picture of my early navigator mannequin as i have just found the chart board lamp to go with him and i`m quite pleased with the result.
As a point of interest the helmet he is wearing is a C type with fitted modifier plates and has extra studs fitted to take a D type oxygen mask which has the type 54 adaptor fited.The harnessuit is the rare chest type version.

DSC01084.jpg

In the second photo i have tried to capture the feeling of darkness but obviously the flash lights it up a bit.It`s quite atmospheric with only a low light on(i`m afraid you`ll have to trust me on that one!)

DSC010851.jpg

Hope you like them.

LG
:mrgreen:

philip.ed

That looks awesome, what a fantastic set up! Love the d-mask with the c-type helmet w/ modifier plates. Those really are some great pieces. Did the IV(B?) goggles come with the helmet?
Cheers LG! :mrgreen:

Lebensgefahr

philip.ed said:
That looks awesome, what a fantastic set up! Love the d-mask with the c-type helmet w/ modifier plates. Those really are some great pieces. Did the IV(B?) goggles come with the helmet?
Cheers LG! :mrgreen:

The goggles didn`t come with the helmet i`m afraid and you are correct in thinking they are IVB`s.I`m particularly interested in the crossover period from the B helmet to the C helmet when you see D masks with C helmets and E masks with B helmets and a mixture of 32 pattern Mae West`s and flap type Mae West`s etc.I have a cracking photo of a Stirling crew wearing just such a mixture of clothing.I have a fair few photos of this sort of practice as i spent some time going through the entire IWM RAF photo collection
I have attached a photo of another C helmet setup with a D mask but with a different stud arrangement.This particular mask is pictured in one of Mick Prodgers books looking much the worse for wear but it has since been restored and although the condition is not great this is the only example of this type i have ever handled and it comes with history(the mask only).The goggles shown are short loop Mk IVB`s.

DSC010891.jpg

LG
:D

dujardin

splendid display, i like this ''in situation'' way you place your manniquin

great result

i think your idea will be followed by many of us.

congrats

marcel