• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some pictures of the Irvin jackets in my RAF collection

Lebensgefahr

Here are some pictures of the Irvin jackets in my RAF collection.

First one is my electrically heated Irvin suit which is complete with all plugs and leads and the correct RAE boots and gloves and before you say it i know it should have a Mae west on it but it`s a bit of a squeeze and i don`t want to damage the Mae West.
DSC010151.jpg

This one is my 1932 dated example which is the one featured in Mick Prodgers book.Please note the four panel design and lack of belt making it a very early example.
DSC010361.jpg

This one belonged to a Battle of Britain Hurricane ace.It is complete with documented provenance.
DSC010311.jpg

This one is my four panel by Wareings.This jacket is huge.
DSC010381.jpg

This is my early two panel and again is a huge size.
DSC010341.jpg

This one is my four panel and is probably my favourite jacket.
DSC010331.jpg

My last one belonged to an air gunner who flew a full tour with a very famous pilot and then another half tour with another squadron.This is complete with it`s log book.
DSC010351.jpg

I hope you enjoy the photos and aren`t too bored.Apologies if the photos look a bit cramped but it`s a bit of a squeeze to fit all my stuff in. :mrgreen:

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. You have a great collection of Irvins. I particularly like the pre-War Irvin Air Chute jackets. I would be very interested if you could provide detailed pics of the pre-war jackets, including the 1932 example. I suspect the 1932 jacket has single trunnion Dot brass zips. Is the slider bucket unmarked? The slider bucket on my 1933 IAC jacket is unmarked and the jacket is also a four panel construction, but has the half belt. Does your jacket have the eyelets for the elastic collar securing strap? Some early examples did not have this feature.

dujardin

schööööönnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

splendid collection

by the way, welcome between us

marcel

rich

Lebensgefahr said:
Here are some pictures of the Irvin jackets in my RAF

I hope you enjoy the photos and aren`t too bored.Apologies if the photos look a bit cramped but it`s a bit of a squeeze to fit all my stuff in. :mrgreen:

Congratulations on your most superb collection, thanks for showing it to us. I wonder if you might write a little about who the Hurricane pilot was, and also the gunner that you mention? I'm sure they would be pleased to know that their kit is being so well looked after, it's a great tribute to them.

flyboy

Like everybody else: Wow - what a fantastic collection!!!
A bit of a strange question maybe - but anyway: Where did you get the striped scarfs from? I have been looking for a scarf like the one in the second picture for ages.

Lebensgefahr

Hi

Thank you for the kind comments.
In answer to the questions posed,here goes:
The early 32 dated Irvin has a single trunnion zip and as Andrew say`s the slider box is unmarked.There are no securing rings for the elastic strap.I believe this is a very early jacket given the date on the label and the configuration of the jacket.
Andrew,when you say you want detailed pictures what exactly are you after?

With regard to the identity of the wearers of the two jackets with history the early one belonged to F/sgt RV Ellis a Battle of Britain Hurricane pilot with 73 Squadron(i have his parachute bag also).The details of the second one for personal reasons i would prefer to keep to myself but i would say that the owner died some time ago.

With regard to photos of more of my collection i will have to give that some thought as i`m not too comfortable with lots of photos of my gear circulating on the net for various reasons(security being one).
I have posted a picture below which shows our cat Merlin showing no respect for the parachute bag he`s sitting on or the flap type Mae West behind him.To pre-empt a possible question the chair is an Air Ministry marked example.Also if you look the control column in the background is from a Mk1 Hurricane. Does this constitute more photos(i`m inclined to think this isn`t exactly what Ben had in mind!)?
DSC010391.jpg

I know what your`e thinking,what a handsome cat!
Sorry for the large picture i forgot to compress it.

I hope this answers all the questions and the few people who have looked at my stuff got as much enjoyment looking at it as i do(it`s taken a very long time to get it all).
Point of reference,i answered Soren`s question in a PM just in case anyone thought i was ignoring him.

Alles gutte
Lebensgefahr

Andrew

Great collection of jackets indeed (and accompanying items). That certainly would've taken some time and money putting together, however i've gathered enough info from the shots to figure out the location (the pussycat gave it away) and I have a truck on its way right now to collect. A good way to at least claim your pics is to add a watermark, at least then if someone want's them they get the text as well- it can say anything.

Coupla questions if you don't mind, do you display them all at the same time or just one at a time? The scarves are indeed a nice touch, are they original Tootals or repros? (no need to pm though thanks) and just out of interest are you from Germany?

Roughwear

This one is my 1932 dated example which is the one featured in Mick Prodgers book.Please note the four panel design and lack of belt making it a very early example.
DSC010361.jpg

I have always been curious about this jacket, the one in Prodger's book. Although it never had a waist belt, the drawings submitted for the 1932 IAC 407445 patent show a jacket with a half belt. I suspect it was an early prototype or test jacket.

Lebensgefahr

Hi

Here are the answers to the questions that were asked:
Andrew(Roughwear)
I have posted the photos you wanted(i hope they are good enough as photography isn`t my strong suit,i`m strictly a point and shoot man)and as you say this may well have been a test jacket.The guy i bought it from who i know well(he owned it for a long time) said it was found in a garage in Letchworth(i have a letter he wrote to me at the time i purchased the jacket,pre computer days),suffice to say it`s certainly a very early one.
Here are the pictures
DSC010421.jpg

DSC010431.jpg

DSC010411.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

There is slight damage to the bottom of the zip but it is not serious and doesn`t prevent the zip being done up.

To answer the other Andrew`s questions;
The silk squares are pre war university ones which i have had for over twenty years(i have never seen any since).Interestingly they came from the same guy i bought the 32 dated jacket from.As i mentioned to Soren,i have one in RAF colours which belonged to an air gunner who was shot down on his sixth op.Hendon do one the same so it would be quite acceptable to use.
As for my cat i always suspected he was fifth column!

With regard to displaying items,i have everything out on display permanently.I have seven(fully kitted out) mannequins,five tailors dummies,a display cabinet for all the flying helmets and then all the other bits and bobs.I would like to have more mannequins as i have enough stuff for another three but i dont want the room to get to the stage where i`m falling over everything.It`s a balancing act between displaying as much as i can but trying to keep it as tasteful as i can.I don`t want to get to the stage where i can`t see the wood for the trees.

With regard to the photos it`s not so much the copyright issue(which doesn`t bother me particularly),it`s more one of anonymity and the issues that come with a lack of that,but to that end,no i`m not German i`m an Englishman.The user id harks back to the days when i studied German.I can`t tell you more than that or i`d have to kill you!
I have added a picture below of my Battle of Britain pilot so you get an idea of the look i`m trying to acheive but i don`t want to post amy more mannequin pictures really.
DSC00984.jpg

Sorry if that was all a bit long winded.
Don`t tell him your name Pike!

jonnyboy

Great collection!

Really nicely displayed too. I've often wondered about that early jacket without the belt, since seeing it in 'Luftwaffe vs RAF'. I wonder if it is a test jacket, or whether there are more out there like it?

I just hope someone doesn't find an early jacket with hand warmer pockets!

Cheers,

Jon

Roughwear

So the jacket came from a garage in Letchworth, where the IAC factory was located. This adds weight to the argument that it was a test jacket and perhaps taken home by an employee. The lack of a date stamp on the label would support this argument. My guess is that the jacket was either a test jacket or a defect was discovered before it was completed and hence the lack of a belt, which it should have had according to the 1932 patent. Quality control in the IAC factory was very strict.