• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some pictures of the Irvin jackets in my RAF collection

Lebensgefahr

PADDY_M said:
I'm really enjoying seeing this collection of RAF Kit and memorabilia! thank you 'so much' for sharing it. It's truly amazing and a fine salute to the lads who gave so much during those dark days to preserve the freedom that so many of us take for granted. Thankyou! Best, Paddy.
Hello Paddy
My pleasure.

I have posted an updated picture as my last mannequin has undergone a head and hand transplant so he looks a little less like Mr Potato head now. I wouldn`t have updated the picture just for that but i have come by another 32 pattern Mae West which i thought people might like to see. Unfortunately i still can`t get the flying helmet combo i`d like on the new head so i`ll have to stick with the cap. Still at least you can see what a handsome chap he is now ! :D
DSC01349.jpg

Hope you like it.
LG

philip.ed

"Come by another 32 pattern" :eek: As one so casually does.

That mannequin looks awesome, and that 32-pattern looks great too. You really have a fantastic collection.

Lebensgefahr

philip.ed said:
"Come by another 32 pattern" :eek: As one so casually does.

That mannequin looks awesome, and that 32-pattern looks great too. You really have a fantastic collection.
Hello Ben

Thanks once again for the compliment, i think the mannequin looks much better with his new head and hands. If you saw the mannequin with no clothes on no one would give me tuppence for it but it`s a godsend as it has a very small frame and is ideal for a smallish flying suit.

Sorry if the finding of the Mae West comment sounded blas`e, that wasn`t my intention.
It was a very lucky find. I emailed the seller for photo`s and expected to see the usual repro or Canadian Mae West but was very pleasantly surprised to see it was an original. Then came the really good bit of luck, the seller lives five minutes from me, so i went and had a look and we came to a deal and i have to say i was very pleased with the price. There wasn`t a bladder but luckily enough i had a spare one.
It was really just a question of being in the right place at the right time. Best result i`ve had in a long time.

LG

philip.ed

No apologies for sounding blas'e are needed at all. It sounds like a great find. These 32 patterns are as rare as hens milk teeth, especially when they look that good.
It's an excellent display. Makes me keen to get back into collecting again.

Lebensgefahr

I acquired this a mask a while ago and thought i would post a picture as although it doesn`t look anything out of the ordinary the mask is fitted with the rare microphone heater. I have had a microphone heater for a long time but until i got this i had never seen one fitted in a mask and on inspection it has been fitted exactly as per the AP`s i have for it. The mask also came with it`s original anti freeze oxygen tube but i have fitted the one i alredy had as this was in better condition. It`s nice to have an original set up which has been used in anger.

Hope you like them
LG

Lebensgefahr

I have had a bit of a change around recently (something I have been thinking about for a while but putting off because I hate dressing mannequins as it`s such hard work as anyone who has ever dressed one will know) and thought I would post the results.
I have changed the Harnessuit on this mannequin from the dual purpose type to the seat type version which is much rarer with only a handful known to have survived, also I have added the early walk about oxygen bottle.

The second picture includes my Battle of Britain air gunners tunic as seen earlier in the thread and two later additions. The first frame (above the phone) contains a watch which belonged to a Battle of Britain pilot with 141 Defiant Squadron. I was very pleased to acquire this as I have been trying to get my hands on it for a few years now. The second frame (below the phone) contains items which belonged to a Battle of Britain pilot with 264 Defiant Squadron.

As a point of interest, the phone is on the type of wall mounted cradle which can be seen in the Cabinet war rooms.
Sorry for the poor photography.
I hope you like them ?
LG

Dani-B

I like them very much! ! ! What a great and interesting collection - awesome! Thanks so much for the pictures.
Regards Dani

Lebensgefahr

Thank you for the kind comments. These are the last two pictures (Hooray I hear people say !). The first has been posted before but since then I added the flap type Mae West and changed the mask to an E type. Personally I prefer this mannequin without the Mae West and harness so the Irvin suit can be seen to better effect but while I could possibly squeeze one more mannequin in to put these items on I think it would make it a bit too cramped.

Lastly I have managed to get a half decent shot of the flying helmet display cabinet.

With the exception of the display cabinet with the brevets in and the one with the bits and bobs in it that is it. There are other items which are not on display (blue prestige suit, tunics, electrically heated clothing etc ) but I have no plans to photograph them and no more room to display them. I probably have enough gear to do another three or four mannequins but I have pretty well filled every available space. I need a bigger room !
Oh to win the lottery and then I could really go to town.

Ben, if you decide to continue collecting I wish you luck in acquiring the items you want. If you get half as much enjoyment out of collecting as I do it will be worth it and looking at the way prices have steadily risen a sound investment.
In my experience I have come to believe that if you wait long enough at some point every item you want will come up for sale but you may only get one shot at it. It may not be the case now but all I can say is that over the years I had a pretty long list of things I wanted of which quite a few were very rare and in the end I got them all. There is only one item I am looking for which is not flying clothing related. They were produced in the their thousands but I have never seen one for sale and have only ever seen two In the flesh in museums but if my mantra holds true at some point I will get one. Fingers crossed.
I am in a nice position now where unless something with genuine history comes up which interests me, most of the items I buy are inexpensive and just add the finishing touches to things. As an example I recently picked up another silk square for one of the mannequins and an Air Ministry chinagraph pencil for my chart board. Not very exciting stuff I know but pleasing to get nonetheless. Also I am always looking out for interesting photos of particular items being used or just ones I like.
LG

PADDY_M

Any chance of photos of the dispersal chairs please? I know...sounds geeky, but I'm interested :)

PADDY_M

Also good close up multi angled photos of the white prestige suit! What an amazing collection! Better than many museums I've been to...! Well done Sir!

John Lever

It came up when I was ordering some zips for my new Irvin. Derek is a member here but I don't know his user name. The best bet would be to call the London shop, they are always very helpful.

Lebensgefahr

It`s been a while since my last post and it`s been a successful year in which I have picked up some nice bits.
The reason for the new post is twofold, firstly I have taken one of the tailors dummies out and made a new mannequin.
I have had all the gear shown in the photo for a long time but have only recently decided that I could fit another mannequin in.
The mannequin depicts a pilot from the 1941 period which was an interesting period as the B type helmet was being replaced by the C type helmet and consequently period photos quite often show B helmets with E type masks and first pattern C type helmets with D type masks, C type helmets fitted with modifiers for the MKIV range of goggles and also crews wearing a combination of 32 pattern Mae Wests and flap type Mae Wests. He is sitting on a Lloyd loom chair and he is wearing a blue prestige suit by D Lewis which while not as sought after as the white or black versions is nonetheless much rarer (unusually for a prestige suit it has Air Ministry marked zips) , over this he is wearing a 1941 dated 32 pattern Mae West which is fitted with the fluorescene dye marker pack (the release tape for this can be seen attached to the inflation tube), again, while this Mae West is not as desirable as a 39 or 40 dated example it is much rarer due to the very late date and the fact it is fitted with the dye marker pack.(The dye marker pack was fitted to quite a number of Battle of Britain period Mae Wests but I have never seen an example in the flesh).
His headgear is a first pattern C type helmet which is fitted with a D type mask which has an unusual stud arrangement to enable it`s fitting to the helmet (this mask has operational history having belonged to an Australian pilot), this stud arrangement is extremely rare and this is only the second mask that I have ever seen like this.(This mask is featured in Mick Prodgers flying helmet book), the mask is fitted with a 41 pattern microphone. It has the later uncovered black oxygen tube fitted to it and he is wearing a pair of MKIIIa goggles. Rather than flying boots he is wearing service dress shoes which some pilots liked to do as it gave them greater sensitivity on the rudder pedals. The map in his pocket belonged to a Battle of Britain pilot Clarence Francis.

The second reason for the posting is that I posted a picture of a Beadon suit on page six of this thread and a question was asked about the use of Ammo boots with this set up, it has taken quite some time but I have acquired a photo of a Hurricane Squadron operating in Burma in February 1945 and all the pilots are wearing ammo boots and the chap second from left is wearing a Beadon suit and ammo boots (this is only clear when the original photo is viewed with a magnifying glass). I was pleased to get the photo as far east aircrew photos are not common and it`s always nice to back a display up with photographic evidence.

LG