• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about USN stencil at navy jackets!

B-Man2

Thanks for this thread, very interesting, I asked myself the same kind of questions (for the same reason, I guess, there's no stencil on AVI's M244A).
Is that a special leather painting that must be used for that kind of work?
Does AVI offer the stenciling as an option ?

pierregloom

Does AVI offer the stenciling as an option ?
I remember having seen (on their instagram I guess) that you can ask them to do it, but I also guess that you can't return the jacket when it's the case, so I didn't want for my first repro jacket.

Enigma1938

Picsart_22-02-19_22-41-57-649.jpg

Brettafett

What do you guys recon about the FONT....? Which would be the best to use, or do you know which were used?

Cyril

...interesting thread. In case this could be of any use i scanned both collars of jackets i own showing stencils and attached them here as PDF/A4 (plus a screenshot)
Stencils_USN_Flight-Jackets.png
My G&F ANJ-3a (US) and the Monarch G1 (AER) (U.S.N.) both have silver stencils (if you look real hard)

Attachments

• U.S.N._G1 (AER) Monarch_1951.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 180
  • US_ANJ-3a_Gordon&Ferguson_1944.pdf
    976.6 KB · Views: 213

Enigma1938

Please consider giving a brief tutorial with photos on how you did this. I know it would be extremely helpful for several of us who would like to stencil a jacket or two .
Well Burt, im afraid im not a big help here as much as I want to be.
I studied several pictures of original stencils on G&F M422a collars and then just drawn the outlines on my collar with a thin marker hands free followed by painting the letters in semigloss silver acrylic paint.
After drying I used a fine steel wool in combination with a cotton swab wetted with polish remover and rubbed carefully over the stencil in attention not to damage the surrounding leather. I finished the work with a thin coat of renapur leather dressing, polished all up after a few minutes and voila!
Unfortunately I haven't taken pictures of the procedure. Will do when I make something similar next time.
I just don't wanted to do it the "normal stencil way" by applying a cutted out carton or a adhesive film and dub in the paint with a sponge or cloth or spray paint it etc.... way to much inconvenient and I wanted to avoid the risk of subverting paint under the stencil or paint spots everywhere...
I'm kinda pragmatic in such things and in most cases it turns out nicely.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Well Burt, im afraid im not a big help here as much as I want to be.
I studied several pictures of original stencils on G&F M422a collars and then just drawn the outlines on my collar with a thin marker hands free followed by painting the letters in semigloss silver acrylic paint.
After drying I used a fine steel wool in combination with a cotton swab wetted with polish remover and rubbed carefully over the stencil in attention not to damage the surrounding leather. I finished the work with a thin coat of renapur leather dressing, polished all up after a few minutes and voila!
Unfortunately I haven't taken pictures of the procedure. Will do when I make something similar next time.
I just don't wanted to do it the "normal stencil way" by applying a cutted out carton or a adhesive film and dub in the paint with a sponge or cloth or spray paint it etc.... way to much inconvenient and I wanted to avoid the risk of subverting paint under the stencil or paint spots everywhere...
I'm kinda pragmatic in such things and in most cases it turns out nicely.
Well that makes it even more outstanding knowing that you free handed the entire process. Nicely done!

Griffon_301

Just checked my two ELC repros; my M-422a has a silver stencil (and a G&F repro Label) while the G-1 has a faded white USN stencil..

on a side note... Does anyone know which modern day colour would be best to reproduce the reflecting US Navy stencil on the back of blue deck jackets...?

Enigma1938

Bronson uses some silver gray paint with fine metal particles mixed in for their blue deck jackets, I think it works pretty well accurate.

Griffon_301

I am asking because I have a blue BR deck hook jacket without the stencil on the back and might want to add it...I was intending to use silver paint and fade it a little by drybrushing a little bit of dark grey colour over it... But if there is a better matching colour available commercially I would rather use that....

Enigma1938

Oh one final question about the collar stencils! I asked this here already in another thread a while ago but haven't received a proper answer:
The USMC also used the G1 jackets and all of her predecessors, but did their jackets had a USN stencil too even they were not part uf the navy itself?