• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about USN stencil at navy jackets!

Enigma1938

Hi all
I wonder what's the trick with the USN stencils on the back of the navy flight jacket collars. I've seen some early jackets with yellow stencil saying only US, midwar and postwar jackets with USN in white or silver, sometimes applied in the middle, sometimes on the right...
What jacket type (M422, M422a, AN6552, G1...) should have what color, shape and position of the stencil?

What's the correct color for a G&F M422a stencil? Is it white or silver?

I know, a lot of questions...
Thank you

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

I think its fair to say there’s variation. Might be worth having a read of this thread:

Enigma1938

Thanks I know that thread, great infos and photos but no answer on my specific questions. I can't say if it's white or silver on Jorges jacket for example

ausreenactor

Hi all
I wonder what's the trick with the USN stencils on the back of the navy flight jacket collars. I've seen some early jackets with yellow stencil saying only US, midwar and postwar jackets with USN in white or silver, sometimes applied in the middle, sometimes on the right...
What jacket type (M422, M422a, AN6552, G1...) should have what color, shape and position of the stencil?

Thank you
No pics on Good Wear website?

mulceber

Hi all

Thank you

AN-6552 and AN-J-3A had just "US" stenciled on the back, since they were at least theoretically a joint Army-Navy design. The whole M-422 and G-1 series had USN stencils. Regarding the color, I don't think there was any rhyme or reason as to which color was selected, and it seems to vary from contract to contract. If I had to guess, it's whatever was economical at the time. In the case of the G&F, that color appears to be white.

mulceber

Yeah, it's hard to say whether it was removed or just was never there in the first place. In any event, here's a picture of a G&F from the same contract that does have it:
stencil.jpg

Grant

Depending on the maker (G&F, Church, Block, W&G, etc) the color of the stencil varied from white, silver, yellow to black. No one knows why the colors varied, but my guess is each maker wanted their jackets to have a unique color. Over time the paint used on some stencils has faded or worn off completely, leaving no trace.

mulceber

Huh, looks white to me, but I could see how that might be silver. Having seen it in person, you'd be in a better position to tell.

Lord Flashheart

Silver, white and yellow. Be interesting to find out what BuAer actually specified if anything. I can see the reflectivity of silver being good on the deck of an aircraft carrier at night in filthy weather.

pierregloom

Thanks for this thread, very interesting, I asked myself the same kind of questions (for the same reason, I guess, there's no stencil on AVI's M244A).
Is that a special leather painting that must be used for that kind of work?