• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some advice on making 70s style leather jackets

Aykut

Jeff,thanks for the comment..This one is a pretty basic jacket i'm still working on the best fit.I don't have an actual pattern yet..I built this one based on some fitted shirt pieces i cut...When i get a machine i will try some more designs,2-3 tone colors etc..i really appreciate your generous offer for the 78 but i'm not sure yet what to get as far as a new one or a vintage machine,I know i need a walking foot machine with a slow speed control for sure,..I like this machine overallhttp://alanhorvath.com/54chevy/tacsew.php,it has good reviews all over the internet and seems ideal for me...i still check craigslist daily but not much industrial machines there..we'll see, i still have a long way to go as far as what i want to create...For my next project i will try to make a whip stitched vest or jacket ,no machine all hand work..best..Aykut

A

Anonymous

Hi No problem on the machine ,when your ready to convert the Kenmore give me a PM ,I have just designed a presser foot for working on leather appliques great feeding and you can spin it 360 degrees while moving and the best part is that you can see where you are going bacwards and forwards ,so you can get very precise stich placement .Talk to you soon All the best Jeff .

Aykut

This just posted on craigslist today, what do you guys think?..should i offer him $350-400..

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/1066574801.html

here's the online info i found:

SunStar KM 340BL
Single Needle Walking Foot Lockstitch Machine with Large Hook

For use with Medium to Heavy Materials
Canvas · Vinyl · Leather

Features

· Upper and Lower Feed (Walking Foot)
· Large Hook Capacity
· Semi-Automatic Lubrication System

A

Anonymous

Hi Aykut I am not familiar with this brand ,but it certainly looks capable and has all the bells and whistles ,Pm Mark and ask him what he thinks .I would offer him $250 you can always go higher to secure it and its not an insult at least it is one offer .

Rgds Jeff

A

Anonymous

HI Aykut seems your patience paid off .Your machine is Japanese and in my opinion are the best out there in the more modern comercial machines .The Craigs list post has been deleted by the seller so I will wait to see your pictures tomorrow .It looks like you found a good one and now you will see the difference in the sewing capability over a household model .The walking foot is like a 4X4 grab and go all you have to deal with is the speed now ,but that will come with practice .That machine that was sold that you put a bid on I think they did you a favour .Incidently the machine you just bought is also marketed as a Chandler ,might make it easier to find parts documentation when you need it .Took a quick look on the interenet and it seems to be a popular machine with auto upholsterers and they work with a much heavier leather and have beading to contend with .Nice score well done .

Rgds Jeff

Aykut

Here are the photos..I still can't believe i got it for $200!It has a nice 11-12" working area.It runs smooth and quite,the light works,it also came with some extra presser foot and lots of #92 thread..the guy who sold this to me was very nice,he used this to make sunbrella,sails and stuff..and Jeff,yes i'm so glad i didn't end up with that "made in China" Sunstar,I was almost buying that but someone offered more than $350:)...thanks for all you support and valuable advice man..best..Aykut

N1.JPG

N2.JPG

N3.JPG

N4.JPG

N5.JPG

N6.JPG

fishmeok

looks good- I think you found a great deal. Jacketmaking will actually be FUN now, not just an exercise is frustartion...
Cheers
Mark

A

Anonymous

fishmeok said:
looks good- I think you found a great deal. Jacketmaking will actually be FUN now, not just an exercise is frustration...
Cheers
Mark

AMEN to that, I 100% agree with Mark .Aykut that machine is in mint condition ,I do not think you will have any wear issues with parts.The original owner must of babied this machine I think you got a quality machine and with all the extras threads manuals etc that probably worth $60 right there .I do know the other famous Juki Japanese company has the lower end machines made in China and the word is stay away from these as they are problem machines,so my point is that I am glad you did not get the Sunstar , they may look the same but they are definately the same quality heat treat ,fit and finish you know Junk ! .Aykut the rest is up to you now ,and if you need any advice or help PM me and I am sure Mark would help you also .I feel another Good Wear leather company Of the rock world rising ,may be they will make a film about Jimi Hendrix and you would be asked to make the costumes .Hendrix was from Seattle also and he did his first concert in England in my home town Hounslow SE London (Ricky Tick club Nov 26th 1966), so there you go all the best Jeff

fishmeok

Once you get comfortable you will probably want to get a left outside foot- same as the one you have now, but with the stationary (outer) foot on the left instead of the right. Makes it easy to do topstiching etc.
Cheers
Mark

A

Anonymous

Hi Aykut the more I look at the machine I have to say it is a no nonsense piece of kit and I am sure you will do well with it .One thing you may want to stay away from is aluminum bobbins go with the steel ones and get your self a thread cutter mounted on the back side of the machine makes life easier and lastly get a magnetic seam guide .The lamp bulb try using one of the bulbs they use in kitchens hi intense halogen standard base it will make your eyes less tired.And lastly buy the best needles it will save you money in the long run and perform better and stay sharper .

All the Best Jeff

Aykut

Jeff. where do i find the mounted thread cutter thing?..are these universal for all machines..pls let me know if you know any links...Thanks

fishmeok

Hey Aykut, those things come in packs of 2- wanna go halfsies?

I'm kind of missing my 78- the 211G is such a truck I am having to learn how top top stitch all over again. I've been going through practice pocket flaps like candy tonight.
Cheers
Mark

Aykut

Mark yeah that sounds good.I bid on it already,pm me your address i'll send you the spare one if you want.I also just found out some cool people sent me pm messages with great info about sewing machines, just saw these messages in my inbox,not too familiar with these type of forums,i'll check daily from now on.My apologies for the late replies,didn't mean to ignore anyone or anything..all the best..Aykut

A

Anonymous

Aykut said:

Your welcome you will like this gadget always there when you need it no looking for the scissors anymore . PM me if you need help or questions .

All the best Jeff .

Aykut

Just finished this..took about 3 days of work,still have a long way to go but it was good practice..All the best..Aykut

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg