• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some advice on making 70s style leather jackets

A

Anonymous

Hi Aykut that jacket came out nice ,interesting choice of colors .Are you finding it easier to make them and hows that machine working out for you .Rgds Jeff .

Aykut

Jeff, Thanks,,,yeah i wanted to use pastel colors on that one which turned out nicer than i thought...i'm getting better with each new project and my sewing machine is definitely great for what i do...I'm moving to San Francisco on may 29th ,i've been busy packing,getting ready but once i'm there i'm planning on renting a workspace with a friend and start working on the prototype designs,ideas..as much as i like the East west stuff i also love Nudie Rodeo Tailor's work along with many other British designers that dressed musicians,cool people back in the day..so i have plans mixing it up a bit and come up with my own unique designs...I love fashion as much as i like music(it's the same to me) so my work will be obviously inspired by what i like but i will try to make my creations as unique as possible...hopefully i will update you guys next month with new projects... all the best..Aykut

A

Anonymous

Hi Aykut all the best on your move to SF ,one of my favourite designers is John Galliano his work was so different in design cut and use of patterns and materials althought he never worked in leather .His strongest period was 1980 onwards be careful with your designs try not to emulate so you can create your own identity .This would be the best advice I can give you ,sort of be the band not the cover band !.Draw your designs from the period with the present period indentity themes as the selling points.Contact magazines, newspapers, advertising companies ,film companies with photos of your work ,once you get interest from one of these media outlets the word gets out and you will be on your way to being self supporting ,you just need a lift to where its at and the work will come your way.Keep us posted to whats happening I am sure Mark is interested but he is a little busy with his move to a new home .Another good thing is to watch whats happening with the colors of mens and womens clothes and jewelry every new year colors is decided the year before ,this way your creations will be in vogue with whats going on around you but in your own interpretational offering .You can keep your finger on this pulse by keeping an eye on whats happening in Paris and Milan ,the plan is not to be an outlet to support bands but the whole world , aim high you have the fire in you alight try and steal the limelight .Thinking to myself thats not a bad brand name STEEL LIMELIGHT .Talk to you soon all the best jeff .

fishmeok

Good work Aykut- I think Jeff is right on with his comments. Had no idea he's such a fashionista, but then, he IS an Englishman living in New York :D

Design is a little easier for me (in some respects-not so much in others), I'm not really doing anything new, just variations on a classic theme that I happen to like a lot. Once you get the technical ability and skill set down the world opens up. I dig subtlety and small details (after all, I'm a mighty midwesterner), but I really have not had any time to try jackets based on anything beyond the basic A-1/A-2 design. This summer I'm going to move into half belts but time is going to be a real issue. If I didn't need the health insurance I would set up shop and really start cranking things out, but that's just not possible right now. If you can, jump in with both feet, figure out your sizing, and start making jackets NOW and I think you will be very successful. You are making a bold and unique product and moving to the right area to market it.

I would also recommend meeting up with Chapman before you leave Seattle- he's living the dream, so to speak, and I'm sure has some good advice to give.
Cheers
Mark

A

Anonymous

Hi Aykut I agree with Mark if you can hookup with John it could save you light years on your progression .You have been at it long enought to ask the questions relavant to honing your skill .The way to offer a new product to the people is the product has to be 100% natural but with pizzaz that goes for anything in life and make you stand out from the crowd .Down in NYC we have the Fashion Insitute of technolgy where they churn out 1000s of aspiring wannabes but they all have one thing in common they were trained by wannabes them selves and this has limited their success in the industry .You on the other hand have not been perverted by such teachings and are unspoilt and that is to your advantage ,so you know no boundaries and are imersed in the beauty of what you are trying to produce and see no limitations .Your fire and imagination is your institute you jackets are your pallets and your machine is your brush ,I have nothing but admiration for what you are trying to do ,the world is full of people that can say I wish I did that ,could of would of should of .There is no rewind button on this life ? Carpe Diem .

Regards Jeff

Aykut

Hey everyone..sorry for the lack of updates for a while..i moved to San Francisco from Seattle couple of months ago and just finally getting used to it here..in the meantime though i worked very hard on my jacket designs and got much better at it..still learning new tricks everyday but i'm much more confident now..soon i'm gonna open my own website with my portfolio..here are some newer jackets i finished..happy to be back to the forum..Thanks for everyone for all the valuable tips,it means a lot to me..all the best..Aykut

Cream leather with gold piping (this was a very hard design) decorated with Brass round spots
l_9e393bdc28414f37954702f4ce41457f.jpg

l_f89da7b5240e406d8fa8f7db3be72bba.jpg

Red black leather with patch pockets
l_32bf1cb16781470db8dbfe958668d65a.jpg

l_ffbabd15402c40de85886a8800a2c7c4.jpg

Vest with detailed silhouette applique work
l_7a15684e748c47c1ba71d538936dd335.jpg

l_771425c89b7f479a940e0c51afc5d18c.jpg

l_578518b65a1d4641a4a36414cf0ef74c.jpg

Black suede serpent jacket,lots of work went into this but worth it!
l_fd34ac41df324a0eb19435bcbe659ec5.jpg

l_a5baeb443bd642659f02a653a10d2e6c.jpg

l_970cb14d9b3544b6a758e1dd4c75bf95.jpg

Black with round spots (will make more of this in different colors soon)
l_39f269599f654b12874545172bf758d0.jpg

l_b5596131010b45bc8e85f23f172e86dc.jpg

Also i just finished this large buffalo hide duffel bag..This is the first bag i've ever made,working on more designs.
l_af45fa735ab046c3ab93597dda9de5ad.jpg

Aykut

Black buffalo hide jacket i just finished..this heavy buffalo hide was a pain to sew on my machine but it was worth it,beautiful natural grain leather.Still learning the right techniques but this is the best basic jacket i've done so far i think.

l_b40259a4a71b444f925e2edafb5e8aa8.jpg

l_63931e921e6448a7a1e7c6cd15a8e231.jpg

l_e122ba25d9cb488aa93be6629a7ba464.jpg

l_2592d71ade8f412d9dc62e306082e053.jpg

l_7b7e48c4c3d843aa85edeb8169e0f20f.jpg

l_4d45fff92dfa43ca8dd96d9371d77f1d.jpg

l_228ee8de9d0045b49ddc2397e1ac6946.jpg

Aykut

Thanks David.Your feedback is much appreciated! It's been almost a year since i started making the jackets and it's been a great challenge for me.

fishmeok

You are working at a better pace than I am! I really like your topstiching and the inset sleeve zippers are great- how did you figure those out? The whole thing looks very professional and well done.

I really think it's time to topstich the arm to body seam- that's the only thing that looks a little unfinished to me. It's not really that difficult, once you practice a few times.

Like this:
CompDown805.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Aykut

Mark thanks...I would probably do that top-stitched shoulder in a few jackets but most style of jackets i like they didn't use it much,i'll do it on the motorcycle style jackets definitely.The cuff zipper thing is pretty easy,the way i do it at least,just cut the arm piece like you would normally do,than design the cuff piece with the zipper kind of like a patch pocket but bottom end open and when you're top stitching on the flat arm make sure the zippers are separated depending on how tight you want the cuffs when zipped.Once you stitch the cuff piece on flat finish the arm,ready to set the to the body.This is the way i figured looking at some of the older jackets i have.

fishmeok

Oh I get it- it just clicked. Makes perfect sense now... I was thinking you added a third piece in there under the zipper.
I also like how you paired the grainy and non-grainy bits on the back- how tough do you think the buffalo is?
Cheers
Mark

Aykut

I kind of had to play around the with the grain because the whole hide is not as grainy,i mean overall there's much more natural grain in buffalo comparing to cowhide but the grain on that yoke area is pretty gnarly which i love ..so i just pick the back yoke,pockets and cuffs from the heavy grain areas..That buffalo was pretty tough to work with,it's about 4oz thick but it's also very soft,turning the edges was a bit tricky especially on the round areas plus the presser foot on my machine is not that high but buffalo hide is my favorite it looks super cool,pretty heavy so it makes great warm jackets for cold weather.

Aykut

Mark, also i worked on my patterns so i don't double/layer the leather on the yokes and bigger panels anymore.That was a huge mistake i did in some of my earlier jackets which made those jackets look pretty bad on shoulders,learning from mistakes here:)..now i have to learn how to add a nice lining to some of these.