• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on buying my first Irvin!!

Otter

Nothing wrong quality wise with the ALC Irvin if the Look is all you are after. My current is an ELC 1940, dating to about 12 years ago, bought second hand. Only niggle is the main zip has a plastic stiffener at the bottom. Other niggle would be the price, Eastman want about £1200 now. If I was wanting to be adventurous and not spend a whole heap of cash then I would go for a Fivestar.

Sideslip

I received these from Aero’s sale page, but will be returning on Monday as I need one which is somehow between both (size 44 pre-war and size 46 BoB). I don’t know if they are their standard fit for 5’11 (I am 6’, 43 inch chest). They are very nice, just not quite the right size for me.
first two are 46, last two are 44. Don’t want to crease them due to return so being gentle. Please ignore my dorky expression.
ACC807EF-F8C9-4686-8C6B-91B629B8358F.jpeg

5FA0556B-DDEE-4E20-B575-25073EE5F2FD.jpeg
8A1AD888-1AF2-435A-96E5-FE6E34684912.jpeg
68E8E202-1269-42F7-82D8-C5C93284162E.jpeg

Micawber

I received these from Aero’s sale page, but will be returning on Monday as I need one which is somehow between both (size 44 pre-war and size 46 BoB). I don’t know if they are their standard fit for 5’11 (I am 6’, 43 inch chest). They are very nice, just not quite the right size for me.
first two are 46, last two are 44. Don’t want to crease them due to return so being gentle. Please ignore my dorky expression.
View attachment 68048
View attachment 68051View attachment 68050View attachment 68047

So does the 44 feel too small and 46 too big?

Smithy

Nothing wrong quality wise with the ALC Irvin if the Look is all you are after.

I know a lot of people who have or have had ALC Irvins and they really are bloody bulletproof. They never fall apart or have zippers that fail. If you're just after the look and don't care about accuracy, they're not a bad choice. That's the reason why they're so popular with the classic car crowd.

If you want a more historically accurate Irvin though they're hopeless.

Sideslip

So does the 44 feel too small and 46 too big?
Yes, the 44 feels slightly too short and shoulders too trim if I wear anything more than a t shirt and shirt. If it is cut to a standard 5’11, I don’t know if an inch height to my 6 foot makes a difference. The 46 is roomy, shoulders hang off and the sleeves too long, but actually is more comfortable. If I could get a 45 with shorter sleeves…

Leather and fleece are very nice. This is just a size issue.

Micawber

Yes, the 44 feels slightly too short and shoulders too trim if I wear anything more than a t shirt and shirt. If it is cut to a standard 5’11, I don’t know if an inch height to my 6 foot makes a difference. The 46 is roomy, shoulders hang off and the sleeves too long, but actually is more comfortable. If I could get a 45 with shorter sleeves…

Leather and fleece are very nice. This is just a size issue.

Aero will make up whatever you want but baggy and long sleeves was often the wartime fit.

Smithy

View attachment 68048
View attachment 68051View attachment 68050View attachment 68047

If it was me I'd go for the 46 with an inch off the sleeves, especially if you want to wear a thick jumper underneath.

I personally think Irvins look better slightly oversized than undersized - that's the nature of the design.

Problem with the photos is that you're wearing different things under the jackets in each photo but if it was me I would ask Aero for the BoB in a 46 with an inch off the sleeves.

crism1

Thank you everyone for your advice/comments, really appreciate it! Taking it all in and weighing up my options before pulling the trigger. Looking at second hand options too which requires some patience. Still leaning towards the Aero BoB Irvin though.

Was wondering if people can post pictures of their Irvin's (any brand). Would be cool to see how they fit, colours etc.

Apologies if i'm asking for a lot lol

in case ya need 38" Aero Irvin I'm selling mine

Sideslip

If you want a more historically accurate Irvin though they're hopeless.
Maybe this was discussed elsewhere, but is there a current general consensus view on the different repro « ranking » for Irvin accuracy at the high and mid price points? Or is it just ELC, Aero, GW(?)?
If it was me I'd go for the 46 with an inch off the sleeves, especially if you want to wear a thick jumper underneath.

I personally think Irvins look better slightly oversized than undersized - that's the nature of the design.

Problem with the photos is that you're wearing different things under the jackets in each photo but if it was me I would ask Aero for the BoB in a 46 with an inch off the sleeves.
Agree that slightly oversized feels better. Not planning on using to go into London, but more for what they were designed for/countryside. @Micawber mentioned that Aero can adjust size. Looks like an adjusted 46 BoB is the way to go.

Same clothes compare
BoB 46
6079F18A-973A-4CE1-A971-10B9D0C51881.jpeg

pre war size 44
D4549CDB-7075-42AC-9E03-46ADD3B13353.jpeg

Chris 55

Maybe this was discussed elsewhere, but is there a current general consensus view on the different repro « ranking » for Irvin accuracy at the high and mid price points? Or is it just ELC, Aero, GW(?)?

Agree that slightly oversized feels better. Not planning on using to go into London, but more for what they were designed for/countryside. @Micawber mentioned that Aero can adjust size. Looks like an adjusted 46 BoB is the way to go.

Same clothes compare
BoB 46View attachment 68122

pre war size 44
View attachment 68121

Pre war size 44 about right to me.
If there to snug I find the wind flap makes a bulge in the front.
Sleeve length look's good to me.

B-Man2

While I agree with Chris that the size 44 looks better standing upright with your arms down. I’d suggest wearing them both for a few hours doing things like driving , reaching out , bending down and lifting and carrying grocery bags etc . You’ll soon be able to know positively which one works for you .

Smithy

The best were actually made by a chap called Jon who had a company called Aces High - he was an expat living in France and made stunning Irvins. Very sadly they are no more.

With them gone I would say that of those available the best are ELC and Aero. I think you'd be hard picked to argue for either, although some of ELC's outer finishing on their sheepskins has looked particularly cardboardy over recent years.

I'm an Irvin snob and if it was me and I was after another repro because my ELC carked it or got nicked I'd buy an Aero now. Far fairer priced as well.

Back to sizing in your latest photos, the 44 pre-war looks utterly spot on. I wouldn't change a thing and would ring Ken tomorrow and tell him you're keeping it and the other one has been chucked at a courier.

Micawber

Isn't it so easy to get hung up on the minutiae! If in doubt go up a size. The chaps who were issued these things didn't have the luxury of sweating on sleeve length etc, I would contend that they were happy to accept a bit more material over their mitts as long as it didn't interfere with their duties. Granted this is the 21st century and if we are paying a chunk of cash for a jacket we want it to look and feel just fine and dandy but as has been said before these were essentially work and protective clothing, not designed to be fashion garments. The sleeves on my older ELC Irvin are far from lounge suit length - and I'm glad of that in the winter! Be mindful that sleeves will ride up with creasing and wear.

blackrat2

There are a couple of recent reviews on Aero by our very own Mr Lever in the review section
Thing that niggles with me about ELC is “zippergate”...unless they’re not using that now?!

ausreenactor

If historical accuracy is important to you : pockets are to be avoided. You will have the choice between Eastman Leather (the most precise, but very expensive), Aero Leather (less precise according to some but a good quality) and Fivestar Leather (the cheapest but under development, I think it is necessary to to wait a little).
A good alternative to Fivestar (without pocket) could be the Irvin offered by "Wright Price Glory" but it seems to me that it is no longer manufactured, and difficult to find used.

If historical accuracy is not very important to you : find a model with pockets, many brands offer them (personally I think that would be a shame).

If historical accuracy and pockets matter :
Buy an American jacket type B-6 or D-1 (or AJN-4, M-445, M-444, ...)

But in the end, MaydayWei gives you some great advice. Go straight away to what makes you dream.
If the Irvin is your holy grail, then take the best, and use your trousers pockets.

Great post. Answered in full.

Lord Flashheart

For what it's worth I'm with Smithy and Micawber on this one. I've two Aero Irvin repros and I reckon the 44 looks about right. I think mine run just down to the thumb joint and I haven't felt they're too long when I've worn them. As to arm length most importantly what's it like sitting in the cockpit?