• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on buying my first Irvin!!

Sideslip

Certainly nothing was meant to be negative, I promise you.
I’ve been right where you are on just about every jacket I’ve purchased over the years. It’s unsettling and frustrating at times. I’ve always questioned my choices right up to the point that I put my money down and then felt very unsettled until it arrived . It’s a process and we all go through it . I’m not sure if this makes you feel better or worse , but I can assure you it’s intended to make you feel better .
Cheers:)
No negativity taken whatsoever, I genuinely understand and appreciate your comment :)

Lord Flashheart

If it's any consolation I spent a long long time working out what route to go down when getting an Irvin repro. I'd had a Polden Sheepskins RAF repro for years but wanted something more wartime accurate and mulling over ELC, Aero etc the various posts here did help refine my thinking. Confused me too at times I'll admit but in the round helped me decide Aero Late War was the way I wanted to go. Worked for me.

Smithy

If it's any consolation I spent a long long time working out what route to go down when getting an Irvin repro. I'd had a Polden Sheepskins RAF repro for years but wanted something more wartime accurate and mulling over ELC, Aero etc the various posts here did help refine my thinking. Confused me too at times I'll admit but in the round helped me decide Aero Late War was the way I wanted to go. Worked for me.

Absolutely.

When it comes to a replica Irvin you can't go past Aero now and especially as Aces High are no more.

MikeyB-17

Nothing cooler than John Mills rocking a big Irvin Inthe film.
The Way to the Stars 1945View attachment 68246
Note also Bill ‘Compo’ Owen (will mean nothing to overseas readers) wearing what appears to be a Devon fleece Irvin, with long curly fleece inside, and normal fleece collar.
And Flash’s late war Irvin is one of the nicest I’ve seen.

Sideslip

For you size 40's wanting an ELC for £600.

There is also an original hooded FAA Irvin.

Sideslip

Thanks, I spent some hours working my way through various threads last night and early this morning. The confusion I was referring to was that some comments seem to be that the merino had the nicest hide, closest to wartime, but the shearling was not as dense so not close to wartime (but lighter and easier to wear in English climes).

I just received an email back from Aero who very kindly and quickly responded to my request for a side by side of the 'normal' hide and the merino. I have one or two books, but it is really hard to tell with any authority what is correct for original Irvin hide look i.e. if the merino hide is correctly representative. It actually seems quite shiny in this photo, but that does not mean much in a way as it will wear over time.

IMG_2603.jpg

Chris 55

To be honest it all comes down to what you like about the Irvin if early or late pattern or size.
Out of the few in my collection there are all different long fleece and short.
I've had the same problem picking my first ever leather jacket at the age of 56.
I decided to get a 5 Star A2 then it's what size colour model it's taken months.
It's on it's way now and I'm still thinking have I done the right thing only time will tell.
Good luck with your quest.

rob20uk

Hi there, my name is Brandon and I'm fairly new here. I say fairly new because I've been reading posts on here for a while but just never posted anything myself.

I've been looking for a flight jacket for a couple of years now, have looked everywhere and had no luck. Came across these forums and found Aero Leather and fell in love with their BoB Irvin. These forums have actually made me appreciate more than just the aesthetics of the jackets.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on it but the only thing that's stopping me is I feel I may need pockets (utter sin I know!) I fully appreciate the history behind these great looking jackets but it's the only thing stopping me.

I was wondering if people can give their general opinions, advice etc etc on this. Also just general opinions on Aero's BoB Irvin. They look incredible but was wondering how thick the fur is etc.

Thank you, look forward to read all replies!
Hi,

I came to the forum for the same jacket as you, I also ended up with an Aero RAF Irvin. All I can say is you DONT need pockets (that is why you have pants). Trust me this is an awesome jacket without and it really will compromise the jackets look and feel and quality if you get one with pockets.

You can see a picture of my one below. This is such an awesome jacket I would honestly not hesitate in getting one. The only tip I would say is to make sure the back length is what you want and order with slightly longer sleeves that way Aero can always shorten them later to the perfect fit.

Also, the old adage of buy cheap buy twice holds true. Don't be afraid to spend the money on a quality jacket from a top maker, IT IS worth it and it will last you out.

IMG_0235.jpg

Last edited:

D97x7

Inspired by the thread I thought I'd pull my Aero Irvin out today. This is tagged size 42 with a bit added to the arms and body, I can't say exactly how much as I did just ask for a bit. Not sure if the sizing has changed over the years but this is a good fit on my 42ish chest whereas the similarly tagged black fleece one I had wasn't at all.
Remini20211029135903921.jpg

Otter

Somewhere, lost in a heap, I have a book about the Short Sunderlands built by the shadow factory on the Lakes. In there is a black and white photo of a Flight Sgt with an Irvin, dark outer, very dark fleece looks to be chocolate brown or black.
What I am saying is by 1944 anything with wool was being used for jackets, witness all those reused trousers !

Last edited:

MrProper

Hi,

I came to the forum for the same jacket as you, I also ended up with an Aero RAF Irvin. All I can say is you DONT need pockets (that is why you have pants). Trust me this is an awesome jacket without and it really will compromise the jackets look and feel and quality if you get one with pockets.

You can see a picture of my one below. This is such an awesome jacket I would honestly not hesitate in getting one. The only tip I would say is to make sure the back length is what you want and order with slightly longer sleeves that way Aero can always shorten them later to the perfect fit.

Also, the old adage of buy cheap buy twice holds true. Don't be afraid to spend the money on a quality jacket from a top maker, IT IS worth it and it will last you out.

View attachment 68255
Nice fit.

I'm with you on the pockets.
Some of my jackets have pockets, but I hardly ever use them.

Otter

That sleeve length was why I sold my old Aero Irvin ! Very nice jacket, pliable, comfortable, a little fluffy, but ultimately slightly too long sleeves. Came from Finland and ended up in Germany.

tda003

Brandon,

I bought a "Type B-3" made by Schott. It's quite well made. Not knowing anything about flight jackets, I didn't realize that it shouldn't have pockets. I now have a completely restored and refinished non-regulation type B-3 with pockets. It's now the only unauthentic flight jacket that I own. Amazingly, no one knows that it's not authentic and it's very warm. Too warm for my climate. If I'm ever forced to be in a place that gets REALLY cold, I'll wear it happily.

Other than a relatively few aficionados and some reenactors, no one will know that you have a non-regulation Irvin and I suspect fewer will care. Get what satisfies your needs. As I recall, you weren't particularly concerned that it be accurate.

rob20uk

That sleeve length was why I sold my old Aero Irvin ! Very nice jacket, pliable, comfortable, a little fluffy, but ultimately slightly too long sleeves. Came from Finland and ended up in Germany.
Aero will shorten them if you want.

Otter

Too late by a couple of years ! It was an older generation, tube like sleeves, pre remodeling, still a dang good jacket? Now on an Eastman 1940, great except for the plastic zip reinforcement.