• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help on buying my first Irvin!!

brandon_alv14

Hi there, my name is Brandon and I'm fairly new here. I say fairly new because I've been reading posts on here for a while but just never posted anything myself.

I've been looking for a flight jacket for a couple of years now, have looked everywhere and had no luck. Came across these forums and found Aero Leather and fell in love with their BoB Irvin. These forums have actually made me appreciate more than just the aesthetics of the jackets.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on it but the only thing that's stopping me is I feel I may need pockets (utter sin I know!) I fully appreciate the history behind these great looking jackets but it's the only thing stopping me.

I was wondering if people can give their general opinions, advice etc etc on this. Also just general opinions on Aero's BoB Irvin. They look incredible but was wondering how thick the fur is etc.

Thank you, look forward to read all replies!

brandon_alv14

I don't mind thicker fur, or even paying a good amount of money (not ELC prices though) since it will definitely last me a very long time. It's the pockets situation more than anything that makes me hesitate. I'm based in London, England just for reference

mulceber

Five star will have a few more options in the coming months if you hang on a bit.
As well as the 4 panel Shawn will be doing 2 panel pre 1940 and at some point a coastal command jacket.
Zips is a big no no.

Yep, agreed with what's been said above. Hold out for a month or two until Five Star has gotten the perfect shearling for their Irvin, and then buy from them. You might even ask Shawn if he'd add a pocket like on a B-3. We know that in WW2 the pilots interacted with each other and occasionally customized their jackets based on what they saw on people in other services. It's not unthinkable that an RAF pilot would have seen a B-3, gotten ideas, and had a piece of leather stitched to the chest panel of his Irvin to give it a map pocket.

That being said, I don't think the absence of a pocket is huge deal. Your trouser pockets are very accessible when you wear a flight jacket, so you don't REALLY need it.

Regarding Aero, they have a very nice pattern, but their Merino sheepskin should be avoided on authenticity grounds, since it's neither thick enough nor dense enough.

B-Man2

Exterior pockets on an Irvin would be of little use , much in the same way the pocket on a B-3 is of little effective use for anything other than a few small items . Instead you would have to have pocket entry slits cut into the sides of the jacket with interior pockets on the inside of the jacket . Just an opinion .
52D09F18-5B93-4540-809B-D2B625974684.png

Micawber

If you want pockets and therefore not that concerned about 100 accuracy why not look at garments from the likes of Aviation Leathercraft who make jackets loved by the open top sports car chaps and some open cockpit pilots.

mulceber

Exterior pockets on an Irvin would be of little use , much in the same way the pocket on a B-3 is of little effective use for anything other than a few small items . Instead you would have to have pocket entry slits cut into the sides of the jacket with interior pockets on the inside of the jacket . Just an opinion .View attachment 67794

I actually do find the B-3 pocket useful. I’ll put keys and such in it, and it’s open enough that I can take things out of it while wearing gloves or mittens. So, I’m a fan. I’m probably in the minority though.

mulceber

@crism1 , for what it's worth, my suggestion would be this: since you've said you're happy to spend Aero prices, forget about the pocket (I really don't think you'll miss it all that much), and buy one from Aero. No point in going for a cheaper option when it sounds like Aero is really what appeals to you. If by some chance you find yourself really wanting those pockets, you can sell the Aero and buy from Aviation Leathercraft.

Lord Flashheart

I think that’s good advice Mulceber. I have an RAF style from the predecessor of British Sheepskin Co with pockets that’s been good for deep winter a bit like Aviation Leathercraft. Coming here took me down the Aero Late War route and I’ve found it a good all rounder for the colder months. Pockets? I made more use of my leather gloves and got an SOF 1937 RAF haversack for mobile phone, glasses, keys and what have you.

crism1

@crism1 , for what it's worth, my suggestion would be this: since you've said you're happy to spend Aero prices, forget about the pocket (I really don't think you'll miss it all that much), and buy one from Aero. No point in going for a cheaper option when it sounds like Aero is really what appeals to you. If by some chance you find yourself really wanting those pockets, you can sell the Aero and buy from Aviation Leathercraft.

"Save your money" sounded more like "Five Star is similar but cheaper", rather than "that's a good-quality lower-tier option", so I was confused.
I didn't mean to be sarcastic in any way, my question was genuine about Five Star - I didn't know about the company so I'm curious to know more; reasons to justify the lower price or paying a higher price other than brand.

MikeyB-17

It strikes me that if the Aero BOB is the one you have your eye on, then that’s the way to go. If that particular jacket appeals to you, and you understand the historical significance, then you need to accept that that’s how they were. Irvin jackets were part of a suit, worn with Irvin trousers, which did have pockets. If you like the Aero, this suggests that accuracy has some significance to you. If that’s not the case, buy something like Aviation Leathercraft or Cirrus, which aren’t terribly accurate, but have pockets.

mulceber

Well, Five Star is located in Pakistan, while Aero is British-made. Five Star's Irvin is currently in development. Shawn tends to proceed by making jackets and then altering his patterns in response to constructive criticism, so his jackets are in the process of improvement. By contrast, Aero's been doing this for a long time, and while they are still occasionally tweaking the accuracy and the materials they offer, their jackets are more polished.

Kermit3D

If historical accuracy is important to you : pockets are to be avoided. You will have the choice between Eastman Leather (the most precise, but very expensive), Aero Leather (less precise according to some but a good quality) and Fivestar Leather (the cheapest but under development, I think it is necessary to to wait a little).
A good alternative to Fivestar (without pocket) could be the Irvin offered by "Wright Price Glory" but it seems to me that it is no longer manufactured, and difficult to find used.

If historical accuracy is not very important to you : find a model with pockets, many brands offer them (personally I think that would be a shame).

If historical accuracy and pockets matter :
Buy an American jacket type B-6 or D-1 (or AJN-4, M-445, M-444, ...)

But in the end, MaydayWei gives you some great advice. Go straight away to what makes you dream.
If the Irvin is your holy grail, then take the best, and use your trousers pockets.