• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

moderators please.............

A

Anonymous

All I can say is that after my GW arrived I put my lost worlds (2), my eastmans (2), my aero and my GB's (2) on the e-pray and ordered two more GW's. While no jacket is perfect the GW's come the closest to what I am looking for. Opinions vary.

yankee air pirate

I only speak for myself but there seems to be a lack of discussion and topics on the forum. Yes there are some, but most of what I see nowadays is another post of a look at my GW jacket with the same old "great fit" and "look at that grain" comments. By no means is the entire forum taken up with GW topics, but it seems to be the driving force in topics these days. Where are the pics and discussions of original A-2's and other repro and vintage flight clothing. Or has everything been discussed already. I know I can't think of anything good so maybe I am apart of the problem too. I have no problem with GW, I just don't need to here about all the time. But then again were else are you go to show off your new jacket to people that appreciate it. JMHO

Andrew

I have to agree the quality of the content has suffered a bit lately but it's inevitable with the rebirth of the site. I've only been around for the previous 2 incarnations of VLJ and I have to admit that it takes some energy and time to re-create or revisit some of that classic stuff. Most of it was spontaneous and it is hard to recapture the moment- especially after people's jacketology education grows and their tastes change. I can understand the guys who were here 5 or more years ago have done it all before and to them it can be just going over the bleedin' obvious.

I hope that it's just a cyclicle thing and that it will reinvent itself over time. It always helps to have a resident idiot to stir things up....I remember when I worked in an office for an extended period of time there were flat bits and high bits, it just depended on who was there at the time.

I'll happily add my name to the list of those who wake up after falling asleep at the keyboard over one liners and haikus and would like to see them banished :twisted:

airfrogusmc

Post somethng other than GW then... Don't leave it to others. Lets see it.

When Eastman introduced the Monarch and Werber there were allot of threads on that. The Few had a few oh but lets not forget the thread after thread on Irvings. I thought for a while there the name was going to have to be changed to VLE :roll:

Chandler

airfrogusmc said:
...but lets not forget the thread after thread on Irvings.

Irvings? Izzat a new Jewish repro manufacturer outta New York's garment district? :lol: ;)

Chandler

Andrew

airfrogusmc said:
lets not forget the thread after thread on Irvings. I thought for a while there the name was going to have to be changed to VLE :roll:

What? Isn't this VLJ and isn't a Brit sheep peeling still leather and vintage? Man I enjoy 99% of your posts but really this reveals intolerance. What do you find so wrong about it?

Sorry if it offends but here's a bunch of guys who thought the Irvin jacket was a satisfactory design for what they needed at the time.

D_015115-Copy.jpg

asppg_Cy774675453.jpg

asppg_Yd828605289.jpg

asppg_Bv591281772.jpg

By the way, the jacket's inventor and namesake Leslie Irvin was American. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Irv ... chutist%29

airfrogusmc

Thats exactly my point. Those that weren't as enthusiastic 'bout Irvings had to wade through those now some of the Irving guys gotta live with some GW posts. Thats the way it works.

Vcruiser

Actually...as little as the "Foreign Flight Jacket" topic is used.....that space might be better used as a "Shearling" catagory..IMO. The few Foreign jackets posted could much easier be included elsewhere. Shearlings include quite a few different players..both original and repro.
Van

Andrew

Van, Shouldn't be a problem with Irvins (the real ones that is) now stashed in their own category in the Vintage section. They shouldn't be lumped with repros as they bear little resemblance to the real thing. As far as putting them in with other shearlings I don't agree and I wouldn't want to wade through everything else and i'm sure they'd feel the same. They're different breeds mate!

Vcruiser

Leadsky said:
Van, Shouldn't be a problem with Irvins (the real ones that is) now stashed in their own category in the Vintage section. They shouldn't be lumped with repros as they bear little resemblance to the real thing. As far as putting them in with other shearlings I don't agree and I wouldn't want to wade through everything else and i'm sure they'd feel the same. They're different breeds mate!

I respectfully disagree. Shearling is still shearling. Irvins seem to dominate over B3s..B6..D1,in any event. Shouldn't hafta wade through much to find the Irvins. I suppose repro shearlings would go in the "repro"sec...or if in the "Shearling" sec. might make for better comparison to originals(?) Perhaps something to consider....
Van

A

Anonymous

Leadsky:
I have to agree the quality of the content has suffered a bit lately

"Quality Schmuality! Were you around in ythe old days? "Nice Aero! Looks great!" (This about some shiny black seal brown jacket with epaulets landing just above the biceps and a waist 2" above the waist!) "Nice Aero! Looks great!"...ad nauseum!. I don't understand the controversy about GW posting- especially since thiose of us who post about our GW jackets back up our enthusiasm with photos which show those details which no one else is getting even close to right now. Don't like it? Argue!

airfrogusmc

AAAHH Come'on Jeff ya gotta admit that their real deal with jerky hide is pretty nice and original Aeros were wide and short. I've seen some great examples didn't Robman have one that was almost a dead match to his original?

John Lever

Vcruiser said:
Actually...as little as the "Foreign Flight Jacket" topic is used.....that space might be better used as a "Shearling" catagory..IMO. The few Foreign jackets posted could much easier be included elsewhere. Shearlings include quite a few different players..both original and repro.
Van
I used to have a little smile about that section as most of the best repro's are foreign as not made in the US.

A

Anonymous

I agree that the 'Foreign Flight jackets' is mis-named and under used. To me only Irvins and the current Mk III are local and all US stuff is 'foreign'. Bearing in mind the international membership, maybe the sections should change to 'US Flight Jackets' & 'Non US Flight Jackets' or 'Leather Flight Jackets' & 'Shearling Flight Jackets'.

Having been around over the previous 3 incarnations, I agree that the content has CHANGED to "what jacket are you wearing today?" and "does this A-2 make my bum look big?" and to some people pontificating their opinions as if they are the lord high god of a certain jacket and feeling that they must make some kind of comment as a 'statement' must be made by them concerning 'their' jackets and to demonstrate how much more knowledgeable than us mortals they are. There is still some good posting (wish I could lay claim to some of it this incarnation but I can't ! :? ). The current GW obsessions of some will fall away as these end up going on ebay to buy the next must-have jacket. Horsehide was once THE hide to have and goat was passed over. Now goat is king. Trends come and go. Some lead, some are led and some just sit and watch.

So what ?? We are only talking jackets here - nothing of REAL consequence. Look out of your windows or read the non controlled media to get a sense of perspective.

I look forward to being deluged with hate mail :twisted: :twisted:
J_H