• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

moderators please.............

havocpaul

I see where 'Joe is coming from; like I said elsewhere it all got a bit 'silly' when a posting that had nothing to do with GW invariably was led to that make, even on the 'vintage' section. I am sure balance will be resumed, if there had been the internet/forum around when the likes of ELC first started it would have probably been the same in their favour. As the proud owner of the very first 'test' Doniger from GW I appreciate their virtues but in no way have they made all other makers redundant and I am sure John wouldn't want blind worship where constructive criticism would be more beneficial; GW are in their infancy and not all jackets will be 'perfect', some of the hides may not necessarily be up to scratch and as John makes more so he learns more; it is a good thing that democratic comments can be made and disagreements aired without backlash or personal rebuke.

rich

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I agree that the 'Foreign Flight jackets' is mis-named and under used. To me only Irvins and the current Mk III are local and all US stuff is 'foreign'. Bearing in mind the international membership, maybe the sections should change to 'US Flight Jackets' & 'Non US Flight Jackets' or 'Leather Flight Jackets' & 'Shearling Flight Jackets'.

Having been around over the previous 3 incarnations, I agree that the content has CHANGED to "what jacket are you wearing today?" and "does this A-2 make my bum look big?" and to some people pontificating their opinions as if they are the lord high god of a certain jacket and feeling that they must make some kind of comment as a 'statement' must be made by them concerning 'their' jackets and to demonstrate how much more knowledgeable than us mortals they are. There is still some good posting (wish I could lay claim to some of it this incarnation but I can't ! :? ). The current GW obsessions of some will fall away as these end up going on ebay to buy the next must-have jacket. Horsehide was once THE hide to have and goat was passed over. Now goat is king. Trends come and go. Some lead, some are led and some just sit and watch.

So what ?? We are only talking jackets here - nothing of REAL consequence. Look out of your windows or read the non controlled media to get a sense of perspective.

I look forward to being deluged with hate mail :twisted: :twisted:
J_H

Don't see why - nice bit of objective reasoning.

T-Bolt

I agree completely with a lot of Allen's comments. If people are not interested in a certain variety of jacket......then quit you bitching and post something about something that specifically interests YOU!!

There are a number of topics in the world of leather gear world that don't interest me.......but I value other people's likes, so I live and let live when certain topics are rehashed "ad nauseum". How about we quit worrying about what gets posted and instead start your own "new hot topic"! :cool: ;) :cool:

Ted

Leadsky said:
airfrogusmc said:
lets not forget the thread after thread on Irvings. I thought for a while there the name was going to have to be changed to VLE :roll:

What? Isn't this VLJ and isn't a Brit sheep peeling still leather and vintage? Man I enjoy 99% of your posts but really this reveals intolerance. What do you find so wrong about it?

Sorry if it offends but here's a bunch of guys who thought the Irvin jacket was a satisfactory design for what they needed at the time.

D_015115-Copy.jpg

asppg_Cy774675453.jpg

asppg_Yd828605289.jpg

asppg_Bv591281772.jpg

By the way, the jacket's inventor and namesake Leslie Irvin was American. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Irv ... chutist%29

Huh, and I always thought he was Canadian :eek: :oops:

tamoko

He ;)
My first REPRO post.
My point. Repro "flight jackets" are not flight jackets, just civilian copies, "looks like".
Expensive? Yes. Authentic? No. Repro is repro. No collectible value but practical to wear.
You can dispute as well about how good you are looking in Calvin Klein or D&G ... or about military fetish.
All High End repro are nice civilian jackets and you have a good choice: HH, goat, any contract imitation ....
But i don't see other than fashion discussions "The Powder Room :lol: :lol: Beauty"

This forum is for me general "Vintage" = "original"l Leather/Nylon (flight) Jackets.
Interesting that this forum moves more to Flight Jacket in general, Leather Nylon Original Repro. There are a lot of interesting civilian jackets too.
VLJ has really turned to a US military forum. But after some time you know most contract types and you will not find anything new.

PEPRO is not VLJ this is new, civilian, fashion not VINTAGE.

A

Anonymous

tamoko said:
He ;)
My first REPRO post.
My point. Repro "flight jackets" are not flight jackets, just civilian copies, "looks like".
Expensive? Yes. Authentic? No. Repro is repro. No collectible value but practical to wear.
You can dispute as well about how good you are looking in Calvin Klein or D&G ... or about military fetish.
All High End repro are nice civilian jackets and you have a good choice: HH, goat, any contract imitation ....
But i don't see other than fashion discussions "The Powder Room :lol: :lol: Beauty"

This forum is for me general "Vintage" = "original"l Leather/Nylon (flight) Jackets.
Interesting that this forum moves more to Flight Jacket in general, Leather Nylon Original Repro. There are a lot of interesting civilian jackets too.
VLJ has really turned to a US military forum. But after some time you know most contract types and you will not find anything new.

PEPRO is not VLJ this is new, civilian, fashion not VINTAGE.
:?: Huh? :? :?

Chandler

rick.canavar said:
Huh, and I always thought he was Canadian

Last I checked, Canada and the United States were both part of North America.

Chandler

(we always forget, America is a continent, not a country)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Chandler said:
rick.canavar said:

Chandler

You seem to be saying that it's okay to label a Canadian as American, since they are part of that continent.

That's sure not what I've heard.

hacker

deeb7 said:
Chandler said:
rick.canavar said:

Chandler

You seem to be saying that it's okay to label a Canadian as American, since they are part of that continent.

That's sure not what I've heard.

sure thing...ask Snowman........51st state :p

Mid-american

Chandler said:
rick.canavar said:

Chandler

I've never heard "American" used in place of "North American". Actually "America" by itself isn't a continent.