• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could order one GW today...

ButteMT61

Beautiful! Thanks for posting those. I was a 52 this time last year, but I'm at 48/50 now.
Nice to see bigger sizes!

airfrogusmc

I don't know if JC is making larger sizes anymore. He has my sizing nailed but I think he has had to many returns on some of hte larger sizes and I can understand his reluctance to do big jackets. My A-1 was a return.

Roughwear

I particularly love the added autenticity of some paint on the right shoulder of the Werber! ;) Beautiful jackets BTW.

airfrogusmc

Roughwear said:
I particularly love the added autenticity of some paint on the right shoulder of the Werber! ;) Beautiful jackets BTW.

THANKS,

Not paint Andrew some stray light (blueish) and some scuffs Thanks and its by far my fav A-2 repro of all time.

Roughwear

Well that's ok then. Had it been paint you would simply have been following the long tradition of vets wearing their A2s when painting their house, fence or car..... ;)

airfrogusmc

Heres what the werber looked like when still relatively new a few years ago worn
IMG_26392.jpg

airfrogusmc

And fit photos of the Monarch 422 just outta the box. Its also a few years old now

IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

The collar is much more relaxed today on both jackets.

And this is closer to the actual color of the mouton ( bit lighter now)
IMG_5889.jpg

Roughwear

The batch of hh used to build the Werber appears to be particularly close to pre-War hh. Am I correct in thinking it is veg tanned aniline dyed and no longer available for making GW A2s?

airfrogusmc

Roughwear said:
The batch of hh used to build the Werber appears to be particularly close to pre-War hh. Am I correct in thinking it is veg tanned aniline dyed and no longer available for making GW A2s?

I don't know what JC is using now but I really like the HH he used on mine. IIRC it was one of his very early 39 Werbers. Yes I believe it is veg tanned aniline dyed. I don't know if he can get this HH anymore. To bad because it is terrific but ask John because I could be wrong I think its a bit more red than the stuff he uses now but note how some areas wear to a lighter base and others go to almost black (darker) just like originals. I always thought that the stuff he used on mine was a bit red and maybe a bit light in shade? Any thoughts Andrew?

ButteMT61

Love the mouton after it lightens up! Seems John is using new/different hides now based on the website.
All are looking great. 767fo posted some of his 422 and it's lovely - very grainy and beautiful like Andrew's Monarch A2.
Nobody can have just one... :lol:

airfrogusmc

ButteMT61 said:
Love the mouton after it lightens up! Seems John is using new/different hides now based on the website.
All are looking great. 767fo posted some of his 422 and it's lovely - very grainy and beautiful like Andrew's Monarch A2.
Nobody can have just one... :lol:

Andrews Monarch A-2 is amazing. As is 767fos 422. The grain and the hide on my 422 and the mouton is just amazing. The goat is thick but very soft. Not as dark as the goat he is now using. The mouton is original mouton from the period and has really lightened up over the past few years.

ScottoLaw

Hey airfrog,

Both jackets looks great. I tried on a GW monarch A-2 to test fit prior to my DuBow order. I posted a few pics of it way back. It was a really nice pattern and the russet color was sweet. Your Werber is aging nicely. CH-46 "Frog" a total warrior workhorse? Always a nail biter when I went up in them LOL.

Enjoy
Scott

airfrogusmc

ScottoLaw said:
Hey airfrog,

Both jackets looks great. I tried on a GW monarch A-2 to test fit prior to my DuBow order. I posted a few pics of it way back. It was a really nice pattern and the russet color was sweet. Your Werber is aging nicely. CH-46 "Frog" a total warrior workhorse? Always a nail biter when I went up in them LOL.

Enjoy
Scott

Better than 53s... :lol: :lol:

Got a chance to front seat in a Cobra once. WOW....

ScottoLaw

LOL. 53's are a beast for sure. I liked the leaky hydraulic fluid of a 46 much better :) Cobras are nice too LOL. That must have been a cool ride?

S/F,
Scott

airfrogusmc

ScottoLaw said:
LOL. 53's are a beast for sure. I liked the leaky hydraulic fluid of a 46 much better :) Cobras are nice too LOL. That must have been a cool ride?

S/F,
Scott

We used to rag our birds down with a mixture of JP & hydraulic fluid when we were out at sea. We used to keep the bubble chaser real busy.

S/F

ScottoLaw

Thats funny. Who made your G-1 while on active service? My classmate still flies the 53D if you can believe that? His G-1 is a Cooper.

airfrogusmc

I had an old Martin Lane at one time and I also had an Imperial Leather. I was in 73-77

I now have an Irvin Foster C model (mid 1960s)