• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could order one GW today...

ButteMT61

Which jacket would it be and why? I'll be honest, I've been looking at some of the jackets that Andrew and 767 have and I thought I had it figured out. Now, time to pull the trigger, and I can't decide! I even thought I was 100% going A-2, but now I've added the M-422/6552 to the short list.
Any help would be appreciated. I have the following on the short(er) list:

1939 Werber A2 (russet HH)
Acme 18775P (A2 seal with berry)
1938 Acme (russet HH)
AN-6552 Bogen A2 gen (seal goat)
Monarch A2 (russet HH)

I want to get something that's not everywhere. I know it's all subjective, but figured I'd ask you fellas for your thoughts. I'm 6'-4", 220lbs. I am now a 48, so I can get most any jacket for once. I'd like to get my order in soon so I can have for next fall :)

Cobblers161

Perry all the way, 16175 in hh or 23377 in goat. Great shape, a collar to swoon over and the 3 piece windflap is a great detail.

Or maybe a Dubow 27798, sharp as you can get.

Or a 16160 even sharper.

It's a sickness, no doubt about it! But at least it's a happy one. :D

atkins

I wish i can help ...but i always like General Hap Arnold's Werber:

Twomilitaryaviatorswithamanincivili.jpg

Here's Lee-Avg ( thank you Lee ) original thread:

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4484&hilit=werber+general

Roughwear

The Werber 36-1112 P and the H.L.B.Corp 37-3891 P as they are very rare contracts, sharp A2s which JC would make so expertly. Moreover they are almost impossible to find as originals, let alone in a size 44!

ButteMT61

I think my wife might poison me if I keep this up. Not nearly as bad as some guys, but I seem to be getting worse. :)
So far though, you guys aren't helping! lol
So tough. I know it won't be my last order, but it will be my last one for a bit. I've spent way too much money this year, and I have some things to do that require me not putting more hides into the closet. Thanks for the help so far. Please keep it coming...I have to do this soon or I'll go nuts. :shock:

ButteMT61

Roughwear said:
The Werber 36-1112 P and the H.L.B.Corp 37-3891 P as they are very rare contracts, sharp A2s which JC would make so expertly. Moreover they are almost impossible to find as originals, let alone in a size 44!

Andrew - thank you. I don't see those on John's site. Is there any info/pics I can look at?
Do you have either of those? (or is that a stupid question :lol: )

Roughwear

No they are not on his site, but they are contracts I feel he should make at some stage (fingers crossed).

On his site I would be interested in a goatskin Perry and the Dubow 20690 as I do not own originals in either.

767fo

Hi Butte,

Of the contracts you mentioned I would think the Werber would be your best bet. You have some very wide shoulders and I think you should stick to a contract with large armholes and square shoulders. Has John mentioned what contract you should entertain?

Roughwear

767fo said:
Hi Butte,

Of the contracts you mentioned I would think the Werber would be your best bet. You have some very wide shoulders and I think you should stick to a contract with large armholes and square shoulders. Has John mentioned what contract you should entertain?

One of the most generous styles is the no name Cable 27753 and this has wide shoulders, large sleeves and a roomy body.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_27753.html

ButteMT61

Roughwear said:
767fo said:
Hi Butte,

One of the most generous styles is the no name Cable 27753 and this has wide shoulders, large sleeves and a roomy body.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_27753.html

767fo - thank you. I'm really leaning towards the '39 Werber. Thanks for your input - and pics. You're about 1/3 of John's customer pics :lol:

Andrew - I didn't look at that one, but it is nice. Probably down to those two plus the Acme 18775P. Those three tug at me right now...

ButteMT61

Rutger said:

You know, I saw an A-1 pic on John's site a while back, but forgot about it. Can't find it now, but you may have made up my mind for me. I recall loving that jacket and drooling...

Dr H

I think that 46 is the max size for the A-1 Scott. JC has access to limited amounts of cape (and smaller pieces), limiting the panel sizes.
Guess it might be a different story in HH...

ButteMT61

Dr H said:
I think that 46 is the max size for the A-1 Scott. JC has access to limited amounts of cape (and smaller pieces), limiting the panel sizes.
Guess it might be a different story in HH...

Thanks! The pics I saw were of a HH version I believe. I have a cape A2 (Aero, Bronco) and it's a wonderful skin. However, I really want a HH A-2 or A-1, possibly a different jacket later such as the M-422 for fall.

Cobblers161

The Werber '39 is a little trim or rather form fitting. You may be best off giving us a pic of yourself against say a metre rule or a P51 just to give us an idea of what we are dealing with here.

Maybe a 21996 would be perfect, no floppy collar, sharp pockets, dark seal and od stitching and a little forgiving in the, ahem, lower region.

Suits you sir.

airfrogusmc

ButteMT61 said:
Rutger said:

You know, I saw an A-1 pic on John's site a while back, but forgot about it. Can't find it now, but you may have made up my mind for me. I recall loving that jacket and drooling...

Heres a few of my well worn GW A-1...

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg