• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could order one GW today...

Vcruiser

Allen
Do you still have your GW Werber A2 as well as the cape A1..? The size of both are larger than 48..aren't they?

Van

airfrogusmc

Vcruiser said:
Allen
Do you still have your GW Werber A2 as well as the cape A1..? The size of both are larger than 48..aren't they?

Van

Yeah my 1939 Werber is my favorite A-2 of all time. Yes they are both larger than 48 but thats the biggest size tag John had. I also still have my Monarch M 422 which is also larger. John has my sizing NAILED. Paul had an original Dubow which IIRC was a size 54? Maybe a 52 well anyway it fit me pretty good so when Paul sent it to john the make a repro to match it John had the exact dimensions of that jacket. So they are all larger than 48....

RudyN

I have a Perry Sportswear from John in HH and really like it. Maybe that wpould be good for you?

Dr H

Vcruiser said:
Allen

Van

The problem is the cape Van: that domestic variety is no longer available to JC so he has been hunting around for a better, regular supplier that can offer larger amounts. My A-1 is made from Italian capeskin, which is quite different in terms of thickness, finish, look (and limited in its availability, hence the limit on size).
John is more reluctant to offer the A-1 (we've had a fair bit of correspondence on it) until the supply of cape is tied up to his satisfaction - it's not currently in the dropdown menu on the website.
Ian

Dr H

RudyN said:
I have a Perry Sportswear from John in HH and really like it. Maybe that wpould be good for you?

Andrew might be able to confirm as he has a larger original Perry, but my experience with this pattern is that it not a design that accommodates broad shoulders as well as others. When it's scaled up it tends to look quite top heavy as it's typically a shorter jacket.
JMO

ButteMT61

Thanks a ton guys! I really like the look of the 1939 A-2 Werber, A-2 RW27752, and the A-2 Acme 18775P.
Given I'm a 48+ and have broader shoulders (no gut any longer :lol: ) do you think these are OK choices?
The A-1 I can wait on until the hides are there.
I know it's just the start of jackets from GW, but I just want to get in line and have one for next fall.
I must have something wrong with me as I don't get that "wow" feeling with the Perry's. Something in the style that doesn't grab me like the others - subtle, yet real.

Thanks again (and to those emailing pics) to all.

Vcruiser

Well..Allen is a bigger guy..and has been sold on the Werber A2 for some time now. I think it is a contract to take a close look at.
Van

ButteMT61

Vcruiser said:
Well..Allen is a bigger guy..and has been sold on the Werber A2 for some time now. I think it is a contract to take a close look at.
Van

Consider it being done! It's my current #1. Aero (Acme) being #2 I think. But it changes by the hour :lol:

airfrogusmc

I'll try and get some new photos of the way it looks now sometime in the few days.

oh and Merry Christmas Van and EVERYONE on VLJ. I hope that YOU ALL have a wonderful and joyous holiday season!!!!!

ButteMT61

airfrogusmc said:
I'll try and get some new photos of the way it looks now sometime in the few days.

oh and Merry Christmas Van and EVERYONE on VLJ. I hope that YOU ALL have a wonderful and joyous holiday season!!!!!

Thank you, and Merry Christmas to you and all the other guys I've "met" here and on TFL!

Cobblers161

I never had the Perry thing at all, just didn't get the collar. Then I tried one of John's on and was smitten instantly. Man that windflap! Being an old mod for me it is definitely in the details.

Sharp as you know what too! Don't dismiss it

Marv

I think for me it would a RW 1401-P in the dull russett horsehide with a NOS Crown zipper.

airfrogusmc

Ok a few shots from today of the Monarch 422
The jacket is not as red and the collar is more blonde (not as red) as in these photos
IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6670.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg

IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6675.jpg