• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear M-422

airfrogusmc

havocpaul said:
Not sure I agree it beats all other repros...OK, it is only a test jacket and therefore any comments are subject to seeing the proper jackets but the collar looks wrong, way too large and there is work to be done before it can live up to the early excitement; for me it doesn't better an Eastman (yet)....

John, like whats already been said, made the proto type in lighter goat than he's making mine in. Eastmans 422a the back is all wrong compared to original G&Fs. The back is like a modern G-1 not a G&F 422a and the pocket flaps are to large and over exagerated. Besides that the Eastmans great ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
blaze424 said:
This may very well be the first, truly accurate G-1 repro. At first glance, it sure beats LW, RMNZ, Eastman and others.

Okay, we've dealt with the Eastman ... out of curiosity, where do you feel that the Real McCoy's falls down?

I'm quite fond of my old 7823, and if I was nit-picky, I might change the 'McCoys' signed slider. Other than that I really can't find fault.

jacketimp

deeb7 said:
blaze424 said:
This may very well be the first, truly accurate G-1 repro. At first glance, it sure beats LW, RMNZ, Eastman and others.

the prototype is the alpha model.........expect it to be tweaked......to perfection

love at first sight is good.........does not necessarily end in marital blaze........i mean bliss

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
tcwu said:
All I can say their pockets are huge big.

6.75" x 7.75" ... with the scalloped flaps, and the corners cut off, they look fine to me.

They still have a few of the M-422A's at Real McCoy's. I tried one on Monday, but for me, it was too long, and I would have preferred the russet.

airfrogusmc

TCWU the McCoys in the photo above is the 422a? Looks like the G-1 to me.

Hey Robman any chance you could post the original G&F 422a you have ?

I've owned both the Eastman and the McCoys and the RMNZ is much closer to the design of the original. The back is right on the McCoys the color is much closer to most G&Fs the Eastman is way to red and wears to a funny red base.

airfrogusmc

tcwu said:
Yes! That's correct the first one is G-1.
Enjoy your new coming jacket!
Actually the RMNZ's M422a is more red than ELC's to me!
Paddy told me that's probably the last one in that color under RMNZ's label.
If you want one in that color you have to pay FEW's price.

IIRC RMNZ used to have a med dark finish with a tan base. I think Grant and Jake both have older RMNZs (before the few) 422a's. They are both really nice 422a's.
I'll post photos and a review when it arrives but I think the proto type is actually closer to the original with all its warts than some of the other repro makers that have been doing it for years and still don't make the back narrow and wont straighten out the large gap that wasn't on most G&F 422a's at the top of the shoulder seam and at the bi swing.

John has I think it Rogers Monarch 422 that he's copying which is a stunning jacket. Grants 422 is a W&G and that is one SWEET jacket. It has killer goat on it.

The mouton on the my jacket is vintage 1940s mouton and more golden than the stuff on the proto type. Also the goat will be darker and the buttons will be brown. NOS triple stamped slider on repro deco talon stamped stopper box. Just like the original...

airfrogusmc

If I were a 38-44 I would have originals. Have you seen the price on a 52 original jacket? Nice to have a repro that comes at least half way close for us bigger guys. ;) And its kind of exciting we have some that actually cares about getting the details as right as he can and not just cranking out the same ole same ole.....Don't ya think?

jacketimp

airfrogusmc said:
If I were a 38-44 I would have originals. Have you seen the price on a 52 original jacket? Nice to have a repro that comes at least half way close for us bigger guys. ;) And its kind of exciting we have some that actually cares about getting the details as right as he can and not just cranking out the same ole same ole.....Don't ya think?

my runner tells me mr sanders paid about $4.5K for the du bow 27798 that was the donor clone......is that right?

airfrogusmc

jacketimp said:
airfrogusmc said:

my runner tells me mr sanders paid about $4.5K for the du bow 27798 that was the donor clone......is that right?

I donno what he paid but it was the jacket that john did the copy of for my Dubow.

Paul has had some wonderful jackets at one time or another in his collection. He had a killer size 48 1401P. He also had a couple of size 52 no names I think he still has one. He at one time owned a 33 Werber that Gary Eastman now has. He did have a 33 Werber, a 39 Werber and a 42 Werber. I think one really cool thing he had was two jackets from the same plane and painted by the same artist probably from the same time.

If you could see that size 52 Dubow you would see that he probably did pay a bit for it. He had a size 50 like new B-7 with matching sheepskin paints underwear and gloves LIKE NEW...Seriously. And he has a killer white 37 B-3....

airfrogusmc

TankBuster said:
:eek: Wow! I hope not! That's crazy, even if it is a wartime Sz 52.

Jeff, how many size 52 27798s in really good wearable shape have you seen? I remember at one time somebody was saying that they didn't make'm that big.

Robman has a killer G&F size 48 M 422a.

jacketimp

after a size 44.... factor in a premium of 20% per additional marginal size........

bigger dogs bigger wallets............think rotweillers

chihuahuas get it cheap..........

TankBuster

airfrogusmc said:
TankBuster said:
:eek: Wow! I hope not! That's crazy, even if it is a wartime Sz 52.

Jeff, how many size 52 27798s in really good wearable shape have you seen? I remember at one time somebody was saying that they didn't make'm that big.

Robman has a killer G&F size 48 M 422a.

Allen, you're probably right. I know Paul had some really great jackets. I was lucky enough to get a couple from him over the years.

jacketimp

airfrogusmc said:

i concur........

big guys......no tears (waaaahwaaah)

big guys no fear

big guys gw is here

airfrogusmc

Hey imp,

Even the EXTREMELY knowledgeable collector Mr Sanders has had more originals through his hands than most of us have seen collectively wears a GW....He says its BY FAR the best repro he's seen so he owns ones so as not to wear 5G jackets with original knits around everyday and he's owned and seen a bunch of repros to.

So when you get'n A GW?

jacketimp

airfrogusmc said:
Hey imp,

Even the EXTREMELY knowledgeable collector Mr Sanders has had more originals through his hands than most of us have seen collectively wears a GW....He says its BY FAR the best repro he's seen so he owns ones so as not to wear 5G jackets with original knits around everyday and he's owned and seen a bunch of repros to.

So when you get'n A GW?

allen,

you know that i'm a closet gw kweenie...........shhhhhhhhhh

when i do decide to jump the queue i'll ask mr chapman to sign a non disclosure clause........

airfrogusmc

jacketimp said:
airfrogusmc said:
Hey imp,

So when you get'n A GW?

allen,

you know that i'm a closet gw kweenie...........shhhhhhhhhh

when i do decide to jump the queue i'll ask mr chapman to sign a non disclosure clause........

:lol: :lol:

airfrogusmc

standard.jpg

Check at the belt how much narrowere the RMNZ is. Thats what I'm talking about and also check the gap at the top I marked it on your example. The RMNZ is much closer to what it should be for what is considered more typical for a G&F. I'll see if I can find the photos of Robmans original on here and you'll also see the exagerated and large pocket flaps.