• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear M-422

airfrogusmc

Yeah John said a week or so ago that after he got back into town he had a couple of jackets in front of mine then he needed to make a test jacket then comes the Monarch. Maybe another month? I can't wait....

rpmooreii

I corresponded w/ John yesterday and he noted that the actual jackets will be a darker color of goatskin... more like my original that he copied for the pattern. Looks like a great jacket!!

blaze424

Definitely agree on the color issue. This may very well be the first, truly accurate G-1 repro. At first glance, it sure beats LW, RMNZ, Eastman and others.

Any ideas on................price?

havocpaul

Not sure I agree it beats all other repros...OK, it is only a test jacket and therefore any comments are subject to seeing the proper jackets but the collar looks wrong, way too large and there is work to be done before it can live up to the early excitement; for me it doesn't better an Eastman (yet)....

jacketimp

havocpaul said:
Not sure I agree it beats all other repros...OK, it is only a test jacket and therefore any comments are subject to seeing the proper jackets but the collar looks wrong, way too large and there is work to be done before it can live up to the early excitement; for me it doesn't better an Eastman (yet)....

paul,

me thinks you're the roving ELC ambassador............ :eek:

:D enjoy the weather while it lasts.....

marco77

actually i am decided to get a m-422 instead of a g-1 , so more difficult with the new GW choice but I think i go for an ELC !!

Now Gentlemen , make your choice !!!!! ;)

havocpaul

paul,

:D enjoy the weather while it lasts.....[/quote]

Not at all, Impy, just saying what I see and trying to be rational,
loving the sun!

Grant

True John's new M422 has a ways to go before it's there - but once he irons out a few details his new repro looks like it'll be far ahead of what ELC and all other repro makers have been making for years. I never understood why for years ELC has been making a repro M-422a with a wide cut back panels, strange curly mouton, what looks like oversized sized pockets in proportion to the jacket and odd light brown color goatskin. Just MHO!

... and no I'm no GW ambassador - just a USN jacket geek.

blaze424

I agree with Grant on Eastman. I've owned all the repro G-1s and an array of original M-422, 55j14, 7823 early series jackets and no repro (up until now) has come close, to include Eastman and Aero.

I think the difficulty in executing a sound G-1 repro lies in the construction complexity of the Navy jackets versus the more easily made A-2s (easy being a relative term).

I think John just might do it. And he deserves all due praise for doing so.

From the photos, I think the throat latch is a bit off, as is the color (as John agreed). Everything else, at this point, seems spot on. Collar does seem large, but then again, it hasn't had 40 years of avgas soaked propwash and sweat mixed into the fur - so maybe that is how it looked new.

Kudos to John at Goodwear.

Well done.

bseal

Grant said:
True John's new M422 has a ways to go before it's there - but once he irons out a few details his new repro looks like it'll be far ahead of what ELC and all other repro makers have been making for years. I never understood why for years ELC has been making a repro M-422a with a wide cut back panels, strange curly mouton, what looks like oversized sized pockets in proportion to the jacket and odd light brown color goatskin. Just MHO!

... and no I'm no GW ambassador - just a USN jacket geek.

Would you mind reposting a few pics of your original M422?

Thank you.

Grant

b,
here you go...
M422.jpg

jacketimp

havocpaul said:
paul,

:D enjoy the weather while it lasts.....

Not at all, Impy, just saying what I see and trying to be rational,
loving the sun![/quote]

reminds me of the child who spotted the emperor's new clothes/jkt...........