• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B10 jacket and NAF 11680 jacket, Gizemo’s

FreddyF9

Freddy, in item description area, they called’ cotton/ poly’ one as ‘ B10 Special Fabric’

View attachment 133341
On my web browser that part is almost illegible, here’s what it looks like:
E9296A00-B2E5-431C-A65A-C755E91CC33A.png

Dany McDonald

Also, which one of the many versions on TaoBao is the 100% cotton one @Shanghai-Mayne ? I can’t really understand with my auto translator!

Hello FreddyF9,

This would be the 100% cotton type:

D

FreddyF9

The only explanation I can think about the big difference in length, is that they measured it including the collar; instead of taking it from below the collar to the bottom of the knit as everyone else does.

Dany McDonald

Skyhawk,

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that maybe some B-10 like B-15 that came after, could have been made with Endzone twill, same fabric used for the under arm and inside the pockets on the B-10 ?

To take with a grain of salt... Or to be confirmed...;) Since I read this I am always on the lookout for that elusive Endzone twill B-10.

Some info taken on the History Preservation site (Eastman)

In May 1942, Hirsch-Werner, Inc. contacted the Army Air Corps offering a new, specially developed cloth they called “End-Zone Twill,” which had previously been utilized in the manufacture of football pants because of its extreme durability and strength. When the B-15 was introduced, End-Zone Twill was used as trim on major stress and heavy-wear areas of the lining, though the Rough Wear Clothing Co., along with a few other manufacturers, received contracts for some of their entire production of B-15s Flight Jackets to be made completely of End-Zone Twill.

End-Zone Twill is manufactured with 100% cotton in the warp (the fibers than run in a longitudinal direction) and 100% rayon in the weft (the fibers that run in a latitudinal direction), giving the fabric a unique appearance of being shiny on one side and dull on the other. The density of the weave makes this fabric particularly strong; with 140 yarns per inch, this is an extremely dense cloth that feels both polished and hard on the surface, while wearing magnificently.

D

mulceber

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that maybe some B-10 like B-15 that came after, could have been made with Endzone twill, same fabric used for the under arm and inside the pockets on the B-10 ?

This wouldn't surprise me - sorta like how dynal collars are associated with 7823E, but actually showed up mid-way through 7823D. Maybe a new material technically should lead to a new designation, but sometimes that gets lost in the shuffle.

Dany McDonald

This wouldn't surprise me - sorta like how dynal collars are associated with 7823E, but actually showed up mid-way through 7823D. Maybe a new material technically should lead to a new designation, but sometimes that gets lost in the shuffle.

Indeed, wartime efforts to provide and keep an edge in supply must have been very complicated to compile and organise data etc...

From images on the net, both cloth/fabric type must look pretty close.

Just for fun, how about you own B-15? Does it look 100% cotton or Endzone?

D

Dany McDonald

I am also unsure how to look for difference in the fiber or weave.

Bet you those B-15 made with Endzone twill have less cuffs problems like the many B-10 with hole and rips especially at the cuffs.

I will try to look into this and see if I can find some online originals to compare and have an idea what to look for.

Shanghai-Mayne

I don't think that B-10's were ever made from nylon. The inside, as we know was alpaca, not wool or synthetic materials.
Actually good point, Skyhawk.
Pretty sure they made mistakes on their A.D. sheet.

They were owning at least five original samples, from various manufacturers, they stated one of the the jacket come with cotton/poly fabric out shell.

Their five samples:

IMG_0877.jpeg
IMG_0877.jpeg
IMG_0875.jpeg

FreddyF9

I wrote them asking if they measure the overall length including the collar and they wrote that they took it measuring from below the collar. Also, I asked them if they could check the length for size 40, they confirmed the length as 65 cm, which is more similar to the size chart. Weirdly enough…

Shanghai-Mayne

I wrote them asking if they measure the overall length including the collar and they wrote that they took it measuring from below the collar. Also, I asked them if they could check the length for size 40, they confirmed the length as 65 cm, which is more similar to the size chart. Weirdly enough…
Freddy, pretty sure their development guy / A.D. guy / costumer service guy , didn’t work on the same page.