• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trash Pile Aero B-3: The Resurrection

NorthBayRay

Wow! Just wow. That jacket is a serious head-turner and it's not the least bit flashy. Plus, with that hide, it doesn't look like you'll need a flak vest.

Congrats!
Thanks J! Not sure if you are referring to my hide or the jacket's - but at this point I think both may be bulletproof, ha.

I have never owned a B-3 but I can confirm they are absolutely designed for -30F. It was about 85 here in sunny CA when I took these photos - yikes.

Last edited:

bn1966

Well I guarantee it's cooler than it is where I live here in sunny Northern California. Probably not the most practical coat for my climate - but it will be great for motoring, camping, visits to the Sierras, high desert, etc. I'll make it work!
Found one at ELC that fitted perfectly but knew it would live a sad life in the wardrobe alongside my D-1 that only gets out occasionally

NorthBayRay

Deconstructing. :(
Hi D - I spoke out of turn - John *DID NOT* disassemble the original! He patterned it with in a non-invasive technique, and the jacket remains intact. He said he has had to disassemble some jackets in the past, but this one was unique and in good enough shape that it could be saved - it's safe and preserved. So cool!

And here's the proof - the intact original along with my ugly mug wearing the repro. :)

original_B3.jpg

Last edited:

Dumpster D

Hi D - I spoke out of turn - John *DID NOT* disassemble the original! He patterned it with in a non-invasive technique, and the jacket remains intact. He said he has had to disassemble some jackets in the past, but this one was unique and in good enough shape that it could be saved - it's safe and preserved. So cool!

And here's the proof - the intact original along with my ugly mug wearing the repro. :)

View attachment 152243

*WHEWS* that's a big relief to hear. The original might only need some panels replaced to be stabilized or at least kept intact overall as a piece of history.

The original is pretty unique, rare and beautiful, and happy to see it got made into a 'clone' B-3 Jacket, it's really something!

An Original Jacket found in trash, gives it that amazing edge of intrigue, how it's now been 'saved' and given another shot.

It's definitely inspiring to see.

NorthBayRay

Would love to see more photos please!! :cool:

I'd be popping the cork to celebrate on this project, gotta admit, it's top of the 'pile' (no pun intended)

Seriously though folks, the fleece colour/texture, and hang of the Jacket looks just like an original, tellin' ya that jacket has it all.
At your service - here's a few more:

Attachments

• collar_closed.jpg
    collar_closed.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 26
  • collar_snap.jpg
    collar_snap.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 21
  • cuff.jpg
    cuff.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 23
  • front_view_flat.jpg