• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The History Of Aviator Sunglasses

Pa12

Yes they do. I think B&L was already making Ray Bans at that time for the civilian market. They could be those.
Quite possibly. I’ve never seen a colour picture so it’s hard to tell if they’re silver or gold. Being who it is, might even be custom made. And no doubt gold;)

Pa12

I am well aware of what AN denotes, but some AN gear was mostly, if not exclusively used by the USN. The AN6552 jacket for example, you may find a few USAAF aircrew who had it, but a ton of Navy aircrew were issued that jacket.

The AN6531 glasses appear to have been used extensively by both services, and looks to be THE aviator sunglasses of WWII.
Here’s an example of AN Jay
IMG_6375.jpeg

Pa12

Yes it's in line with what I was thinking. AN specification for both services, but not necessarily meaning "Issued to both services"
Actually not just the service. All aircraft in general. Still made today. But other specs have been added over the years. MS(military standard) NAS(national aerospace) etc. But I should shut up about it now. Veering off topic seems to be the ultimate sin on this forum

Skyhawk

See the actual pricings of both brands… both gold frame and un-polarized View attachment 153835View attachment 153837
You want the current mil spec Randolph. That is the fashion version. The mil spec ones are $259 and they are the current issue glasses.