• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The History Of Aviator Sunglasses

Sideslip

And I still prefer the old AO version. There’s a very subtle difference in the shape .
I’ve worn AO’s since sometime in the early 2000’s as they were alot cheaper than Randolph’s as AO no longer had the military contract. Since TG2, they are nearly double the price at ~$200+. I had not noticed that much of a difference with Randolph’s but now that you mention it, it seems that the spacing on the bridge and the shape is a little different.

Pa12

I’ve worn AO’s since sometime in the early 2000’s as they were alot cheaper than Randolph’s as AO no longer had the military contract. Since TG2, they are nearly double the price at ~$200+. I had not noticed that much of a difference with Randolph’s but now that you mention it, it seems that the spacing on the bridge and the shape is a little different.
I lost my AO pair a few years back and replaced them with Randolph’s. I wanted to get another pair of AO but they’ve become too expensive.

Pilot

See the actual pricings of both brands… both gold frame and un-polarized
IMG_1335.png
IMG_1334.png

Pa12

See the actual pricings of both brands… both gold frame and un-polarized View attachment 153835View attachment 153837
Wow. I think I paid just over 100 for my Randolph’s.
Over the years have had dozens of sunglasses, most of which were broken (dropped from a windows or from ladders), forgotten in hotels, in cockpits. The cockpit glass good blocks uv, so the main criterion was the largest possible area and lightweight (but that they fit comfy in a uniform shirt pocket). Sometimes had to wear glasses for many hours, when your course coincides with the sun and the flight lasts 7 or 8 hours, the bridge of your nose gets tired from heavy glasses.The most comfy ones were monolenses made of lightweight polycarbonate (forgot the maker), which I bought at a pilotshop in Singapore. They were with me for almost 3 years until I broke them too. For some reason, I never liked Raybans, and when the first (and last) pair of these glasses slipped out and broke on the concrete, I was not very sad :) Now there are only two pairs of AOs left - with classic temples and bayonets, bought many years ago somewhere in the US - very good glasses for flying and life - flown with me a lot too, love them. And two vintage style Polaroids for the beach and snow.
I agree dimitri, ray bans are over rated, though I have many pairs. I only have 3 or 4 jackets, but I have at least 20 pairs of sunglasses. I guess I’m a bit of a collector. My favourite are my AO tear drop style. There’s just something about the clarity that leaves the rest in the dust. I flew with my dad from the age of 12 and got my license in 1979, so I’ve been flying quite a while now, and to be honest I don’t wear sunglasses when I’m flying unless it’s absolutely necessary. Probably 90percent of my flying has been from short grass strips with lots of obstacles, so coolness takes a back seat usually. I need the best unobstructed view I can get. Comfort wise you’re absolutely right. Some sort of plastic is way more comfortable. Bigger problem for me is my ears hurt from the headset when I’m wearing glasses.

Pa12

The current AO prices so high too :cool: I paid no more than 100.
That’s why I haven’t replaced the ones I lost. With a dresser drawer filled with 20 plus pairs of sunglasses I can live without them. Rarely wear that style anyway. I find the straight bayonet temples uncomfortable and they’re forever falling off my face.

Pilot

Apologies if I missed something… but I was under the impression we are discussing history of ( maybe US ) sunglasses…
Not personal whatever issues… financial or health related or any others ( sorry for my ranting:) … but tomorrow maybe someone may chime in with Taliban or Kim Il Sun ideal googles etc..:) )
Sorry Ladies and Gent.. related to the OP please …
BTW.. price paid for what and when?:)
5 years ago an ELC or GW B-3 was at 900 Euro:)

Pilot

Getting a bit loose and cool about it…
1001% confident that sooner or later the Taliban supporters and sponsors will manage to bring the large US and Alliance stocks incl. issued sunglasses …plus others .. ( where the politicians scapegoated all our taxes and efforts for the insane and insulting sake of it.. ) on Amazon or Crapola-Bay for 5 bucks a set…
Welcome to all the low cost apostle and supporters…
All yours!

Pa12

Apologies if I missed something… but I was under the impression we are discussing history of ( maybe US ) sunglasses…
Not personal whatever issues… financial or health related or any others ( sorry for my ranting:) … but tomorrow maybe someone may chime in with Taliban or Kim Il Sun ideal googles etc..:) )
Sorry Ladies and Gent.. related to the OP please …
BTW.. price paid for what and when?:)
5 years ago an ELC or GW B-3 was at 900 Euro:)
I think I must have missed something here myself :confused:

Skyhawk

This thread is about THE history of aviator glasses, not YOUR history of aviator glasses...lol!
Just kidding but let's get back to the topic.

The WWII AN series with the big bridges. Were those just Navy issue? Was there a spec number for the WWII USAAF AO glasess? Or the earlier USAC ones?

Pa12

This thread is about THE history of aviator glasses, not YOUR history of aviator glasses...lol!
Just kidding but let's get back to the topic.

The WWII AN series with the big bridges. Were those just Navy issue? Was there a spec number for the WWII USAAF AO glasess? Or the earlier USAC ones?
AN-6531. AN is army/navy. All aircraft hardware are AN numbers as well. But they’ve also added MS, NAS, NSA etc.

Skyhawk

AN-6531. AN is army/navy. All aircraft hardware are AN numbers as well. But they’ve also added MS, NAS, NSA etc.
I am well aware of what AN denotes, but some AN gear was mostly, if not exclusively used by the USN. The AN6552 jacket for example, you may find a few USAAF aircrew who had it, but a ton of Navy aircrew were issued that jacket.

The AN6531 glasses appear to have been used extensively by both services, and looks to be THE aviator sunglasses of WWII.

Last edited:

johnwayne

At the risk of repeating myself, I can’t praise Randolph Engineering highly enough!
I bought a pair so long ago I can’t recall how long but I’d guess 15 years, prob more and earlier this year I had a FB (I think) pop up ad. My pair, after much wear and tear had the nose pad break off, well the actual metal ‘arm’ that holds it to the frame so seeing the contact info on said ad, I emailed to ask if they could recommend a UK based repair company! Within literally hours I received a reply asking for the numbers appearing under the nose bridge and inside the arm (I think) and an asked for a couple pics. They replied that their glasses are g’teed for life and 3 days later a brand new pair arrived via DHL!!!
Staggered by the service and even more so when I saw the price compared to what I paid back then.

Skyhawk

So what glasses are these? They don't look like any WWII military issued glasses. Maybe the thick bridge piece was removed off of a AN6531?
Screenshot 2024-07-13 071703.jpg

Pa12

I am well aware of what AN denotes, but some AN gear was mostly, if not exclusively used by the USN. The AN6552 jacket for example, you may find a few USAAF aircrew who had it, but a ton of Navy aircrew were issued that jacket.

The AN6531 glasses appear to have been used extensively by both services, and looks to be THE aviator sunglasses of WWII.
Yep

Pa12

At the risk of repeating myself, I can’t praise Randolph Engineering highly enough!
I bought a pair so long ago I can’t recall how long but I’d guess 15 years, prob more and earlier this year I had a FB (I think) pop up ad. My pair, after much wear and tear had the nose pad break off, well the actual metal ‘arm’ that holds it to the frame so seeing the contact info on said ad, I emailed to ask if they could recommend a UK based repair company! Within literally hours I received a reply asking for the numbers appearing under the nose bridge and inside the arm (I think) and an asked for a couple pics. They replied that their glasses are g’teed for life and 3 days later a brand new pair arrived via DHL!!!
Staggered by the service and even more so when I saw the price compared to what I paid back then.
Wow. Pretty rare these days. I do love the tint and clarity of the Randolph’s. Very similar to my AO teardrop style. I don’t wear mine a lot because I’m not a fan of the straight temples.

Pa12

The AN is actually a standard that they’re manufactured to rather than who they’re issued to. Like with aircraft hardware. Used on all aircraft and the AN was the standard it was manufactured to.