• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The History Of Aviator Sunglasses

Skyhawk

This is a very interesting and iconic piece of aviation gear. Aviator sunglasses have been with us since 1935 and like many pieces of WWII era aviation gear, have become an enduring and iconic symbol of style and adventure. They have run rampant in the fashion and film industry for decades.

This thread seeks to explore the origins, the modifications, the military specifications, and the manufacturers of these forever "Cool" pieces of military aviation history.

I am not an expert but this is what an initial search has turned up. Let's go on this journey of exploration together!

1. 1935 The USAAC commissioned the American Optical Company to produce the first aviator sunglasses. This established the metal frame and crossbar style. It appears that the first design had the teardrop shaped lens
2. Like many things, these glasses soared in popularity during WWII when photos started showing aircrews and generals wearing them.
3. The prolific military contractor Bausch & Lomb seized upon this opportunity and created the name RAY BAN to market these glasses to the general public.
3. AO continued to make military glasses up until 1972. There appears to have been several Mfg's.
4. In 1972, Randolph Engineering Company took over the military contract and they are the supplier of issued military aviator sunglasses to this day.
5. Military designation - HGU-4/P
6. Military Specification - MIL-S-25948
Ran-Front.jpg

Ran-Side.jpg

Last edited:

Skyhawk

I knew it…:)..
Many others did not and dont even understand why…:)
Polarized glasses distort modern glass displays in aircraft. Of more concern though, it distorts vision of the visual landing systems that pilots use to remain on glide slope. The visual indicator that helps a pilot hit the runway in the right spot when landing.
The FAA put out an advisory years ago warning against the use, but not prohibiting them at that time. That was in the late 1990's. It may be prohibited now. The military I imagine, doesn't allow them while flying.

Pilot

With well or quality polarized glasses you dont even see a thing on your cockpit displays…
Try it out on your smartphone…
I am convinced no board or other institution had ever to enforce this law or rule :)

mulceber

My understanding of the way sunglasses work isn't great, but wouldn't non-polarized sunglasses be a a long-term risk, since they wouldn't prevent you from getting sunburn on your retinas? Or is that UV-filtration I'm thinking of?

Last edited:

Pilot

My understanding of the way sunglasses work isn't great, but wouldn't non-polarized sunglasses be a a long-term risk, since they wouldn't prevent you from getting sunburn on your retinas? Or is that UV-filtration I'm thinking of?
I am no optician nor expert in opticals… but I can compare AO polarized and non polarized…
The polarized version give a much clearer view of details especially in a glaring or reflective environment… but they are totally useless in a “ glass cockpit “ as Dmitri mentioned…
… not all military personnel sits in a 30 Mio Euro ..” glass cockpit “ :)… but everyone is happy with well made and engineered sunnies..

Skyhawk

Yes it is UV filtering that blocks UVA and UVB from damaging your eyes. Polarizing does not affect that. I have heard it explained as microscopic levolor blinds that let in vertical light but block out horizontal glare. Like little rods running across the lens. In a sense, polarizing actually blocks a little bit of your vision.

Pa12

I am no optician nor expert in opticals… but I can compare AO polarized and non polarized…
The polarized version give a much clearer view of details especially in a glaring or reflective environment… but they are totally useless in a “ glass cockpit “ as Dmitri mentioned…
… not all military personnel sits in a 30 Mio Euro ..” glass cockpit “ :)… but everyone is happy with well made and engineered sunnies..
Agreed. Polarized are excellent on a boat or snow on a sunny day. Crap for flying

Pa12

And I still prefer the old AO version. There’s a very subtle difference in the shape .

Pa12

And I still prefer the old AO version. There’s a very subtle difference in the shape .
any quality sunglasses should give you uv protection Jan. The darker the tint, the more protection. Just a case of what you need for what you’re doing. One of many reasons to not wear cheap sunglasses. They’ll wreck your eyes.