• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submarine 1st Pattern A2 Deck Jacket Question

Anorak

Hey everyone. Here is one of my A2 Deck Jackets. It is a really great one with USS Blackfin Patch and writing on back. The USS Blackfin was a Balao Class Submarine laid down in 1943. It completed 5 war patrols during WW2 and sank two vessels, one of which was a somewhat famous Japanese destroyer. The jacket itself is in pretty great condition save for some paint on it. The buttons are still tight and the Conmar zipper is flawless.

I had a couple of questions about this jacket as I am still relatively new to collecting.

1. “XO” painting on back, I take it that means Executive Officer?

2. My big question is I do not understand the tag and unfortunately it is worn out. On every first pattern A2 I have seen, they have the horizontal rectangular tag which mine has. However, mine also has an additional square tag below it. I have only seen one other on the internet with something similar. Anyone know what this is or have any ideas?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8180.jpeg
    8.5 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8181.jpeg
    IMG_8181.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8182.jpeg
    IMG_8182.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_8184.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8191.jpeg
    IMG_8191.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8183.jpeg
    IMG_8183.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 54

blackrat2

Sadly the tag from the images is impossible to read, that would have given an idea of age for your coat
Triangular flap to front means it is an older contract and having a Conmar zipper is a bonus
I can tell you it’s not from 1964 as that contract had a different material for the shell, someone on here has one from 1964 but not sure who!
If you search google or instagram for that year you might find some images
I sold mine on to Thomas as was to big for me in size large and the other I had size medium I sold to a forum member as just didn’t allow for layering, both from memory had Conmar zips and both had nice stencil to the back of the jacket
There was a thread, A-2 deck jacket, have you missed the boat, that might be useful to you

Anorak

Sadly the tag from the images is impossible to read, that would have given an idea of age for your coat
Triangular flap to front means it is an older contract and having a Conmar zipper is a bonus
I can tell you it’s not from 1964 as that contract had a different material for the shell, someone on here has one from 1964 but not sure who!
If you search google or instagram for that year you might find some images
I sold mine on to Thomas as was to big for me in size large and the other I had size medium I sold to a forum member as just didn’t allow for layering, both from memory had Conmar zips and both had nice stencil to the back of the jacket
There was a thread, A-2 deck jacket, have you missed the boat, that might be useful to you
Hey thanks! Yeah it is unfortunate about the tag! Also just the additional bottom square tag is so strange!