• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Epaulet Placement Question

Jennison

I've read everything I can find on the issue of epaulets being placed too far forward on the shoulders of less expensive A-2 jackets. From what I've observed, some here, myself included, believe Headwind A-2 jackets are a significant cut above in the "less expensive" category in terms of both construction and details. Jay really seems to know his details and he uses that knowledge in building his jackets. That said, I can't tell whether Headwind A-2 epaulets are placed in the "proper" position, more square on the top of the shoulders, or whether those jackets too, suffer from what someone called "collar bone epaulets."

I'd love to hear some opinions from those who own a Headwind, as well as those who can tell by reviewing the photos.

Skyhawk

Others can chime in that own my Bronco's. The epaulets are in the right place. For reference, look at Tattoo A-2's "What Jacket are you wearing" post. The Bronco is weird in the sense that, when the jacket is laying flat, the eps look very far forward. When worn however, the epaulets fall on top of the shoulders as they should. As long as you get the pattern right, that is.

I know that this was a post to get others opinions, other than mine, so hopefully we will hear from some others who have the jacket.

Jennison

Thanks Jay. Of course you were gonna respond, and I’m glad you understand the reach for impartiality. Does the same go for the Arlo?

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Aero's have a different epaulet set up than the bronco. They are not as far forward. These details are important and they are something that is often missed.

It is like the old saying "You don't know what you don't know" If you don't know what to look for when reproducing a jacket, chances are that you will miss things in the small details. After collecting and buying and selling jackets for 25 years, plus making reproductions for 15 years: It's gotten to the point where I usually can spot discrepancies within minutes of looking at a jacket. Especially the one's I reproduce because I put a lot of research in on them.

Brettafett

HW's Bronco's epaulets appear well placed.
Although generally the same, originals did vary. So theres a jacket out there for each argument..
Compare...
Headwind Bronco left, GW Bronco right
IMG_4828.jpeg
collar.jpg

For fun, and original Bronco 1761

Bronco 1761.jpg