• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simply not true ELC propaganda

Juanito

But it absolutely could be the reason such methods are not being used.
Almost assuredly so, but I am not sure what that has to do with Eastman's exaggerated claims that are essentially falsehoods and deceptive marketing, the subject of this thread. Hell, they could be honest and say, we can't offer leather close to the originals due to environmental laws and/or supply issues, but we can offer something that's a reasonable facsimile (just don't wear it in the rain).

Now, Eastman is not alone in pushing the boundaries of truth or creative wordsmithing. Does anyone remember Avirex's claim that "we can, once again offer a horsehide A-2", implying that they were an original manufacturer without saying so. I will have to dig out my cockpit catalogs from the 1980s to get the exact verbiage. Or...perhaps Willis & Geiger's claims (via Burt Avedon) of being an original A-2 supplier?

Ironically, the only two that could make that claim in the recent past would be Cooper and Spiewak, which are chrome tanned, drum dyed, pigment finished jackets.

If anyone knows where there is a horsehide, size 46, Cooper A-2, circa late 1980s, early 1990s, I would be very interested in buying it.

Last edited:

Banzai

Even if chrome tanning isn't allowed in most places, maybe we should all be going after pigment finished instead of aniline finished? That would get closer to the original, and be more durable to boot. I don't know who does this though. I think Buzz Rickson does at least one model pigment finished. Does Good Wear?

Juanito

Even if chrome tanning isn't allowed in most places, maybe we should all be going after pigment finished instead of aniline finished? That would get closer to the original, and be more durable to boot. I don't know who does this though. I think Buzz Rickson does at least one model pigment finished. Does Good Wear?
Good Wear at least did at one time. I don't know about now but I imagine he could source the leather.

I had two Good Wear jackets, a Knopf and a USL that were both pigment finished. The USL was nearly indistinguishable from an original save the nearly while leather underneath where the pigment finished wore off.

Last edited:

Camel24hrs

From what I read 80-90 percent of all leather tanned today is chrome tanned. Methods may have changed over the years out of environmental concerns but I bet there are places that still use the same old methods. Places where there are not many government regulations. Asian countries would probably be where you could find it.

I have had a vegetable tanned A2 from cockpit USA before and in a rain it soaked it up like a sponge. Chrome tanned jackets I got water just runs right off of them. I guess that’s why the military valued Chrome tanned leather. That and the speed it could be produced. I am sure price was a major concern too.

ELC and others can produce a jacket that looks worn in. Leather is just beautiful. But they are stiff and lack the drape of a chrome tanned jacket and don’t get caught out in the rain with them.

It will take a lot of wear in a chrome tanned jacket to get that worn in look. But at least it drapes and is almost water proof.

I just don’t like when a manufacturer just flat out lies to push a product they manufacturer. I got Garys book. He plainly documents the use of chrome tanned leather. And I have seen zero evidence that any were ever vegetable tanned. If that evidence was there I am sure Gary would have produced that in his book. His product is very good and is priced toward a consumer with disposable cash. There is no need for him to push this stuff. Disappointed in this approach by them.