• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simply not true ELC propaganda

Juanito

But it absolutely could be the reason such methods are not being used.
Almost assuredly so, but I am not sure what that has to do with Eastman's exaggerated claims that are essentially falsehoods and deceptive marketing, the subject of this thread. Hell, they could be honest and say, we can't offer leather close to the originals due to environmental laws and/or supply issues, but we can offer something that's a reasonable facsimile (just don't wear it in the rain).

Now, Eastman is not alone in pushing the boundaries of truth or creative wordsmithing. Does anyone remember Avirex's claim that "we can, once again offer a horsehide A-2", implying that they were an original manufacturer without saying so. I will have to dig out my cockpit catalogs from the 1980s to get the exact verbiage. Or...perhaps Willis & Geiger's claims (via Burt Avedon) of being an original A-2 supplier?

Ironically, the only two that could make that claim in the recent past would be Cooper and Spiewak, which are chrome tanned, drum dyed, pigment finished jackets.

If anyone knows where there is a horsehide, size 46, Cooper A-2, circa late 1980s, early 1990s, I would be very interested in buying it.

Last edited: