• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Shanghai-Mayne

IMG_9843.jpeg

Smithy

WWI trench system at Beaumont-Hamel, France today. This was an area which was unsuccessfully attacked on the 1st July 1916, the opening day of the Battle of the Somme. Anything Somme tugs at my heart-strings a bit as one of my family was lost on that first morning assault and to this day has no-known grave.

Sobering that the scars of over a 100 years ago are still visible in the landscape...

main_1500.jpg

Pa12

WWI trench system at Beaumont-Hamel, France today. This was an area which was unsuccessfully attacked on the 1st July 1916, the opening day of the Battle of the Somme. Anything Somme tugs at my heart-strings a bit as one of my family was lost on that first morning assault and to this day has no-known grave.

Sobering that the scars of over a 100 years ago are still visible in the landscape...

main_1500.jpg
Amazing

Smithy

I know, it's remarkable how scarred that landscape is but hardly surprising when you consider the intricate trench systems and the sheer amount of artillery bombardment that occurred.

I want to take a trip to the Somme but my wife does not - she says it will be too depressing. One of those things I'll have to do by myself or with a chum.

I want to lay a poppy in the sector where I know he fell.

Enigma1938

main_1500.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg
images.jpeg

Also pretty impressive from ww1: Lochnagar

FlakMagnet

Source

IMG_2948.jpeg

Sqd Ldr Donald Bedford 'Chase' Patterson DFC, standing in front of Handley Page Mk III Halifax, serial MZ674, renamed "Nobody's Baby", in late summer 1944, at Tholthorpe, Yorkshire.

The first RCAF Halifax Mk. III bomber to wear the nose art of “Willie the Wolf from the West”, it was given an original registration of LW207, designation OW-W, with No. 426 RCAF 'Thunderbird' Sqdn , and then became serial number MZ674, KW-W, then being re-assigned to No. 425 'Alouette' Sqdn.

This Halifax bomber was air tested by S/L Bedford Donald Chase Patterson J10296, from Calgary, Alberta, on 17th June 1944, and then became his aircraft. Patterson was the Officer Commanding “B” Flight in No. 426 Thunderbird Squadron, and thus he could pick the bomber he wanted to fly. The nose art of pilot Willie the Wolf was also picked by Patterson, his name-sake and the nose art name “Willie the Wolf from the West” in reference to his place of birth Calgary, Alberta. S/L Patterson would fly Halifax MZ674 on seven operations dated – 19th May, 24th May, 5th June, 9th June, 12th June, and 15th June 1944.

Transferred to No. 425 Squadron and the crew of P/O Jack Ryan from Toronto, the pilot Wolf nose art remained but the named changed to “Nobody’s Baby”. The aircraft was shot down over Duisburg, Germany, 14th October 1945, with pilot Fl/Lt. Jean Galipeau, DFC J/36436 RCAF PoW No.8369 Stalag Luft 4 Sagan and Belaria, with others, and two members killed.

Photo: Library & Archives of Canada Ref: PL33337

Image Repair & Colourisation - Nathan Howland @ HowdiColourWorks.

Last edited: