• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Shanghai-Mayne

IMG_9843.jpeg

Smithy

WWI trench system at Beaumont-Hamel, France today. This was an area which was unsuccessfully attacked on the 1st July 1916, the opening day of the Battle of the Somme. Anything Somme tugs at my heart-strings a bit as one of my family was lost on that first morning assault and to this day has no-known grave.

Sobering that the scars of over a 100 years ago are still visible in the landscape...

main_1500.jpg

Pa12

WWI trench system at Beaumont-Hamel, France today. This was an area which was unsuccessfully attacked on the 1st July 1916, the opening day of the Battle of the Somme. Anything Somme tugs at my heart-strings a bit as one of my family was lost on that first morning assault and to this day has no-known grave.

Sobering that the scars of over a 100 years ago are still visible in the landscape...

main_1500.jpg
Amazing

Smithy

I know, it's remarkable how scarred that landscape is but hardly surprising when you consider the intricate trench systems and the sheer amount of artillery bombardment that occurred.

I want to take a trip to the Somme but my wife does not - she says it will be too depressing. One of those things I'll have to do by myself or with a chum.

I want to lay a poppy in the sector where I know he fell.

Enigma1938

main_1500.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg
images.jpeg

Also pretty impressive from ww1: Lochnagar