• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

flyincowboy

B17 nose cone swap

nose  cone swap.jpg

Micawber

That was done in a field in Tannington, Suffolk, England, Oct '43.. The aircraft was with the 324th BS, 91st BG and ran out of fuel on the way back to Bassingbourn returning from a raid so the pilot bellied it in successfully. The a/c was raised, repaired in situ and after a temporary steel runway [Marston Mat] was laid it was flown back to Bassingbourn. The whole incident featured in a period magazine of which I have a copy. I also knew some of the crew.

Lorenzo_l

Bell H-13 Sioux, the military version of the Bell Model 47. This is the gunship version, probably H-13H, but not sure. Image probably taken in Korea, during the Korean conflict.

leper-colony

Bell H-13 Sioux, the military version of the Bell Model 47. This is the gunship version, probably H-13H, but not sure. Image probably taken in Korea, during the Korean conflict.
actually early Vietnam.

Jones Dula - I flew this OH-13S myself in 1965 & 66 as a scout pilot. It was assigned to A troop 1st squadron 9th cavalry. One heck of tough unforgiving little bird. On 3 march 1966 I was wounded flying this helicopter pictured here.

Last edited:

Micawber

actually early Vietnam.

Jones Dula - I flew this OH-13S myself in 1965 & 66 as a scout pilot. It was assigned to A troop 1st squadron 9th cavalry. One heck of tough unforgiving little bird. On 3 march 1966 I was wounded flying this helicopter pictured here.

Interesting thread that. Thank you.

Lorenzo_l

actually early Vietnam.

It was an OH-13S and the picture was taken in Vietnam, not Korea. Thanks for the correction. At least I got the OH-13 part right! :p

Smithy

I can't remember whether I've posted this here before or to a military history group I'm a member of.

Either way it doesn't really matter if it's a repeat as it's one of the most unique photos from the war IMHO. It was also only just discovered in a NZ serviceman's photo album a few years back...

Absolutely Incredible photo of a Kiwi AA crew having just shot down a Stuka over North Africa, with the Stuka plummeting earthwards. Don't get much more visceral than this.

jZF3VZ4.jpg

Enigma1938

I can't remember whether I've posted this here before or to a military history group I'm a member of.

Either way it doesn't really matter if it's a repeat as it's one of the most unique photos from the war IMHO. It was also only just discovered in a NZ serviceman's photo album a few years back...

Absolutely Incredible photo of a Kiwi AA crew having just shot down a Stuka over North Africa, with the Stuka plummeting earthwards. Don't get much more visceral than this.
Looks like "Period"-photoshoped to me...