• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Sideslip

I was looking for something else and found this image. I find it fascinating when you know the context. A real mix of nationalities: Group Captain A G Malan [South Africa] (second from left), Commanding Officer of No 145 (Free French) Wing discusses the operational situation on the morning of 'D-Day' with some of his pilots at Merston, Sussex. On the left (Mae-west) stands Free French pilot, Lieutenant Raoul Duval; second from the right is the Wing Leader, Wing Commander W V Crawford-Compton [New Zealand]; third right (Mae-west in the centre) is Commandant C Martell, Commanding Officer of No. 341 (Free French) Squadron RAF (who was killed after an engine failure on 31 August 1945).

Looking closely at the image, there is so much in their expressions and body language on that afternoon of 6 June 1944.

FAFL 341 Squadron 6-6-44.jpg

Smithy

I was looking for something else and found this image. I find it fascinating when you know the context. A real mix of nationalities: Group Captain A G Malan [South Africa] (second from left), Commanding Officer of No 145 (Free French) Wing discusses the operational situation on the morning of 'D-Day' with some of his pilots at Merston, Sussex. On the left (Mae-west) stands Free French pilot, Lieutenant Raoul Duval; second from the right is the Wing Leader, Wing Commander W V Crawford-Compton [New Zealand]; third right (Mae-west in the centre) is Commandant C Martell, Commanding Officer of No. 341 (Free French) Squadron RAF (who was killed after an engine failure on 31 August 1945).

Looking closely at the image, there is so much in their expressions and body language on that afternoon of 6 June 1944.

View attachment 118093

Just a wee correction Crawford-Compton is the chap on the right (not counting the Frenchman in the background which it seems you didn't). C-C is the chap with his hand in his pocket and holding a pipe in his right hand.

Theres a few British Distinguished Flying Crosses in that photo as well . Sailor Malan had one and the two fellows on the right had one each as well .

Burt, C-C has two (so a bar to his first) in this photo ;-)