• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

Smithy

Bit fuzzy but great photo, Kiwi lance corporal at Cassino, February '44. Once again demonstrates the enormous amount of Thompson SMGs that Kiwi units used (NZ units carried a far greater concentration of the weapon than any other, even the Americans).

image.dynimg.full.q75.jpg

B-Man2

Bit fuzzy but great photo, Kiwi lance corporal at Cassino, February '44. Once again demonstrates the enormous amount of Thompson SMGs that Kiwi units used (NZ units carried a far greater concentration of the weapon than any other, even the Americans).

image.dynimg.full.q75.jpg

The Thompson was a great close quarters weapon… no doubt about it . Great for clearing building and ranges of 200 yards in .
The problem with it was the .45 cal ammo was heavy to carry, and you used up what you could carry very quickly if you used the fully auto option. Fire control was imperative because the guy carrying it could easily find himself in the middle of a firefight out of ammo. I think that was one of the reasons the Thompson’s weren’t issued as much in great numbers . Also the M-1 Garand was the main battle rifle for most GIs as it could reach out to a thousand yards plus with an expert marksman.

Smithy

The Thompson was a great close quarters weapon… no doubt about it . Great for clearing building and ranges of 200 yards in .
The problem with it was the .45 cal ammo was heavy to carry, and you used up what you could carry very quickly if you used the fully auto option. Fire control was imperative because the guy carrying it could easily find himself in the middle of a firefight out of ammo. I think that was one of the reasons the Thompson’s weren’t issued as much in great numbers . Also the M-1 Garand was the main battle rifle for most GIs as it could reach out to a thousand yards plus with an expert marksman.

I think a lot of it comes down to theatre of operation useage Burt. The NZ government put in enormous orders for the weapon ONLY after the start of the Italian campaign. The NZ combat experience had changed from North Africa to Italy where NZ infantry forces were being used more and more in village/town and urban environments where the Thompson was a more effective weapon in range restricted terrain than the standard Lee-Enfield rifle. Kiwis didn't need all of a unit to have long range weapons. It was standard to have a Bren, the NCOs and any senior members usually had Tommys with the rest carrying L-Es.

Smithy

When you're fighting in an urban or semi-built up terrain, it's weight of fire which is more important than range.

Kiwi units needed and liked the short-range weight of fire that the Thompson gave Burt.

It was a weapon that suited the Kiwis well for their combat environment.

If I was fighting house to house and clearing villages I'd rather have a Tommy too ;)

Smithy

Yes- like the sad incident with the charbroiled baby and the little 12 year old. Started out like this.

Not just nape Jeff, all bombs blow stuff and people up. Incendiary bombs did far more damge during WWII, but Vietnam was the first war to really photographically document war in all its horror.

Stuff blowing up and burning in WWII wasn't somehow more morally right and less horrific than stuff blowing up and burning during the Vietnam War.

ZuZu

Not just nape Jeff, all bombs blow stuff and people up. Incendiary bombs did far more damge during WWII, but Vietnam was the first war to really photographically document war in all its horror.

Stuff blowing up and burning in WWII wasn't somehow more morally right and less horrific than stuff blowing up and burning during the Vietnam War.
I was just saying that the famous picture of the naked girl was the result of a South Vietnamese bomb attack on a village. Believe me I never said blowing people up in WW2 was morally right- don't you know me?
If you watch the whole film of that attack it occurs at the end of the war and was all a South Vietnamese thing.
Why would you ever think that I would find WW2 horror more morally upright? You baffle me man!

ZuZu

Smithy the last time we tangled was because I called RAF Bomber Command the moral equivalent of the Allgemeine SS. I've never thought WW2 was moral at all. Ditto all war.

Monsoon

Smithy the last time we tangled was because I called RAF Bomber Command the moral equivalent of the Allgemeine SS. I've never thought WW2 was moral at all. Ditto all war.
WW2 was a "moral war", but like any war, a lot of immoral actions happened on all sides.

But comparing RAF Bomber Command to Allgemeine SS? That's a bit of a reach.