• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original RW vs. Repro Collars

ZuZu

[IMG alt="ZuZu"]https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/data/avatars/m/6/6552.jpg?1576116401[/IMG]

ZuZu

Well-Known Member​

48 minutes ago
Man, this is why I pay attention when you speak Zuzu, education time. Fantastic.
Thanks- it's a curse for me and for you guys1

Here's an example of a large 48 27752 which shows a smoother neck line- a justification of the smoother line seen in repros:

27752 48 front.JPG

However- so many more originals show the 3 part neck line fold:

27752 46collar.jpg

mw rw_27752_js_label.jpg

RW_23.jpg

I think it's because there is more material in the body of the collar than can be folded in a perfect curve- also I think that the collar curve evens out flat towards the windflap. But really it's inexplicable to me- I just see it.

ZuZu

collar.jpg

The shape of the neck line is one smooth line- I'm sure mostly because JC wanted to photograph it that way. However- I've never seen even a GW just naturally create the 3 part neck line fold I see in so many original RWs. Not a criticism- I think it's because in pattern and sewing he has to tend toward the ideal.

Originals:
18091 classic collar.jpg

7.jpg

There are literally scores of examples of this in my morgue file. I don't think that wear will do this- in fact I've never seen even a well worn repro do this. It's some foible of sewing order or subtle pattern quirk which creates this especially in Rough Wears.

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete

Dany McDonald

Interesting and way above my head really...

This is an older Rainbow Country RW and they did catch that detail in a way, give it time and it will start to fold. This is just a guess, maybe Chrome tanned leather being more pliable lends itself to this effect vs the more bodied Veg tanned?

Hope this relevant to the post, anyways here it is.

RainbowCountry_RW_23380.jpg

Micawber

Is the presumption here that original RW collars were poorly cut?
Or
That the cut, assembling, stitching, turning and eventual fitment to the body resulting in the appearance as seen above was a deliberate design - but for what reason?
Or
Is the phenomenon the result of a surplus of material?
Or
That there is an imbalance between the cut of the top and underside layers of leather that make up the collar?
Or
Curious minds need to know.