• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original RW vs. Repro Collars

ZuZu

[IMG alt="ZuZu"]https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/data/avatars/m/6/6552.jpg?1576116401[/IMG]

ZuZu

Well-Known Member​

48 minutes ago
Man, this is why I pay attention when you speak Zuzu, education time. Fantastic.
Thanks- it's a curse for me and for you guys1

Here's an example of a large 48 27752 which shows a smoother neck line- a justification of the smoother line seen in repros:

27752 48 front.JPG

However- so many more originals show the 3 part neck line fold:

27752 46collar.jpg

mw rw_27752_js_label.jpg

RW_23.jpg

I think it's because there is more material in the body of the collar than can be folded in a perfect curve- also I think that the collar curve evens out flat towards the windflap. But really it's inexplicable to me- I just see it.

ZuZu

collar.jpg

The shape of the neck line is one smooth line- I'm sure mostly because JC wanted to photograph it that way. However- I've never seen even a GW just naturally create the 3 part neck line fold I see in so many original RWs. Not a criticism- I think it's because in pattern and sewing he has to tend toward the ideal.

Originals:
18091 classic collar.jpg

7.jpg

There are literally scores of examples of this in my morgue file. I don't think that wear will do this- in fact I've never seen even a well worn repro do this. It's some foible of sewing order or subtle pattern quirk which creates this especially in Rough Wears.

Quote Reply
Report Edit Delete